• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Coindidence or condition?

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Ginger had her myxi jab on Monday.

She appears perfectly healthy, bouncy and happy.

We do however have what i can only say is a condition or coincidence.

Ginger has been what i can only call 'over-grooming' her stomach area. What fur is left, is matted, but you can see the pink of her skin - obvious that somethings upsetting her there. There's no mites, there's no reddening of the skin, there's nothing there at all that is visible - have booked an appt for the morning as vet asked me to keep an eye on her condition before bringing her in, as we dont want to stress her out in case of any other issues.

I'll try and get a picture, but has anyone any ideas? Does the myxi vaccination have a known rare side effect of this?

I know over-grooming can be a sign of pain/annoyance at an area, but i can't see it being pain, when she's on constant pain relief, unless the metacam is not having as much of an effect :/

Thanks for any posts.

Shamless bump for this morning before we go to the vets for anyone who didnt see this yesterday.

Same, vets is at 11:15 - she's groomed almost all the fur from her tummy, it looks almost EXACTLY like a spay shave, but with a small amount of matted fur :/

:? No idea Gray, sorry. Assume she's eating & pooping ok?

Yup, apart from this, she's perfectly 'Ginger'! She's in the best condition of her life, apart from this :/

Most odd :? She's not had anything stuck there has she? Like a bit of hay that's scratched her or something. *scratches head & tries to think of other possible reasons*

Most odd :? She's not had anything stuck there has she? Like a bit of hay that's scratched her or something. *scratches head & tries to think of other possible reasons*

I'm as confused.com as you are Fluffers, there's nothing there at all, she's the kind of bunny who will let me fuss with her a fair amount before she gets nippy lol.

I think it may be behavioural or possibly even neurological? We'll see hopefully when we get to the vets.

Not sure what Ginger's fur type is like but Flame's matts to the skin when he feels rough and doesnt groom himself well, and also when he is moulting. It gets worst on his tummy and around his backend.

I recently saw one of my former fosters and had had made himself bald underneath. From an examination and a discussion with his owner it became apparent that he had gotten very matted under there and had spent the previous couple of days sorting it out himself, and literally just pulling it out. He balded himself too.

I'm just wondering whether those two things could play a part here? Fur that has matted when she has felt rough (maybe due to the myxo vacc?) and her trying her hardest to 'sort' her uncomfortable fur out?

Back from the vets, vet says it appears behavioural and can't find any obvious physical reasons for it.

She's trimmed most of the matts and we're going to monitor and see if anything gets better/worse - there's no obvious annoyance in the area, no inflammation, no irratation, no nothing. Vet has asked us to keep a very close eye on her moult in relation to it.

I took a couple of pictures with my phone earlier...

IMG-20120202-00009.jpg

IMG-20120202-00010.jpg

Maybe you're right Sky and she has been feeling a little rough, but hasn't shown any signs of it, certainly none that i'm used to anyway, but thats not to say she wasn't and so is now trying to sort it out herself as she's feeling better?

Her fur is very soft and fine, and she is going through her first real moult since she's been here. I've never seen her complete a moult before but now, she's really shedding, so that may have to do with it - interesting that Flame does the same!

Bless her :love: look at her little face in that pic :love:

Glad you've had some reassurance Gray. Hopefully now she's had a hair cut it will settle down :)

Oh and for anyone who may wish to comment, Ginger is NOT tranced in that picture.

I have her cradled in my arms, with my right hand supporting her head about 3 inches higher than her bum and her head facing towards me, so there was no way she could slip backwards in to a trance.

If you look at the picture, you can see my office chair, as this was taken above my desk.

Thanks to those who took the time to post :) Hopefully its something simple, could do without Ginger having something else go pear shaped now she's doing so well!

I'm not around tomorrow, Ginger's got no better, if anything, her tummys grown a little bit of fur, but she's gone back to grooming the freshly grown little tufts of fur and they've matted already :roll:

Off to the vets on Wednesday AM to try and get to the bottom of it, her beautiful little tummy doesn't look so pretty right now, i wonder if its annoying her, bless her little cotton sockies :(

Poor Ginger :( Despite being neutered some buns can still experience a phantom pregnancy so perhaps this is what she is going thorugh. Is she eating more and attempting to make a nest somewhere? You could put sudocream or a similar nappy rash cream on her tummy if the skin is looking raw.

Poor Ginger :( Despite being neutered some buns can still experience a phantom pregnancy so perhaps this is what she is going thorugh. Is she eating more and attempting to make a nest somewhere? You could put sudocream or a similar nappy rash cream on her tummy if the skin is looking raw.

I was also going to suggest sudocream, it's amazing stuff and can really help but I suppose there's the worry she might lick it off?

Back