• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Slow Bond

Dave81

Mama Doe
I won't have time to spend a few days in a row bonding my rabbits other than the weekends.

My plan is as follows:

· 2 new male rabbits to live in the NIC cube cage, I can shut this off and add a roof to stop anyone escaping or getting in (my ladies don't use this much at the moment)
· My 2 ladies to continue been free range house bunnies in same room as caged males.
· After a few days let the males out the cage for supervised dating and gradually build upon this.

Would this approach work over time?

I haven't got the males yet I'm going to view some pairs tomorrow at RSPCA.

The meetings need to be done on neutral territory, so if you do it on the girls territory it will not give it the maximum chance for success.

There's info on my website about bonding which might be useful.

If your girls are able to access the boys through the bars then you will need to ensure no teeth or nails can get through. Also, if any of them are in pairs, be aware of the issue of referred aggression.

I will check your site later as I can't see the link for it using the mobile version of this site

Sky-O has pointed out same as what I was going to, it needs to be neutral territory and be careful of referred aggression.

Could the rescue to the bonding for you?

Read all the info thanks was very informative.

I don't think the RSPCA would bond them for me, I don't mind doing it myself just going to be hard going but hopefully couple of weeks will do it. They can date in an evening then weekends can have longer together

Just thought of another question!

Can I bond them outdoors say in a pen? By the time I have my 2 boys home and settled in its going to be March so should be getting warmer.

The ladies haven't been outside yet so it would be classed as neutral territory, I'm guessing the new sounds and smells would be a distraction got all 4 of them.

Also another question, as it would be a couple of weeks before the bonding takes place would it be fine to let the boys free range in the girls tertiary if I shut the girls up in a pen? This would only be for a couple of hours a day to let the boys have some exercise and a look around the new pad

Just thought of another question!

Can I bond them outdoors say in a pen? By the time I have my 2 boys home and settled in its going to be March so should be getting warmer.

The ladies haven't been outside yet so it would be classed as neutral territory, I'm guessing the new sounds and smells would be a distraction got all 4 of them.

Also another question, as it would be a couple of weeks before the bonding takes place would it be fine to let the boys free range in the girls tertiary if I shut the girls up in a pen? This would only be for a couple of hours a day to let the boys have some exercise and a look around the new pad

If you let them out near each other, and they are bonded, do be prepared for referred aggression issues. Also, make sure that any mesh between them is small enough so no teethies or nails can get through and cause damage to either party.

Bonding in a pen outside should be absolutely fine. I would say don't put any of them out there though util/unless bonding, to give the weather a good chance to wipe as many smells away as possible.

Last question honest :lol:

The vinegar solution spray is that just water and white vinegar? What proportions are needed or does it not matter too much?

Ask whatever you need to :)

A vinegar solution is distilled vinegar and water. Some people mix it 50:50 but I've done it all concentrations and even neat and not found a problem- you're just looking for an obvious smell of vinegar.

Back