• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

REALLY Good Rabbit Vet for neutering - Solihull Area

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum but was wondering if you could help me out! I have a four year old male house rabbit who is not neutered. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a really good rabbit vet who could discuss the possibility of having him neutered now? I'm looking into the possibility of swapping his accommodation to a x large dog crate and would be brill if I could persuade him to use a litter tray. There would also then be the possibility of rescuing a girlfriend for him.
He has some teeth problems (typical pet shop rabbit) and had surgery for this last summer. I would also like to discuss this with a vet. I am in the Solihull area and am willing to travel. I have heard of Frances Harcourt Brown but she may be a little too far away.
Also anyone else's experience of neutering an older rabbit would be greatly appreciated, I really don't want to put the little guy into too much danger, other than the normal risks associated with surgery.
Many Thanks

Last edited:
I can recommend an excellent rabbit vet in Gloucester - Jason Burgess of Wood Vets, Bristol Road Gloucester. I cannot praise this guy highly enough.

Again the distance may be a problem for you but they are very accommodating with times / over night stays etc if you feel you could make it. We travel hour and a half each way to get to Jason with our 9 house buns. I have met so many rabbit people (and their rabbits of course :love:) whilst at the surgery and they too travel from all over the place, Worcester, Plymouth, Somerset, Wales (like us) the list is endless.

I should imagine it would take you about the same time as us to travel.

Many others on RU use Jason too.

An added bonus too is that there is a fantastic boarding for rabbits place - Blackberry Boarding close by and last summer when we were away, Jason even popped in to check on Squirrel our rex who he had operated on two weeks or so previously. The people who run the boarding Sharon and Chris are very knowledgeable themselves but with Jason checking on Squirrel too, I felt 100% confident that my two older 'special buns' (because of health issues) were in the best place for us to go away. Windwhistle Warren (Rabbit and Guninea Pig Rescue) is fairly close by too so you could pay Alice a visit for a wifey bun!

Wherever you go - good luck and welcome to RU!
Ruth :wave:

We have a totally superb amazing surgeon vet in Cambridge - can neuter anything (and do much much more in the way of any detailed and complex surgery on rabbits).

:wave: Whereabouts do you live, Lizzie? Four isn't really that old, I wouldn't bat an eyelid at neutering a 4-year old (and have done previously with no problems) and rescues routinely do them much older, so as long as you have a competent vet, it shouldn't be a problem...obviously we'd all like to go to the very best vets, but personally I wouldn't worry too much about travelling long distances for what should be a fairly straightforward operation with a vet who regularly neuters bunnies with good results. If you can give us an idea of whereabouts you are, someone on here might be able to recommend a good vet local to you.

Edit: oh sorry ,just noticed you mentioned in your post you're in Solihull! There are a few rescues on here from around that area so I'm sure they have great bunny vets who are experienced at neutering older buns, might be worth editing the title of your first post to give your location, it might draw more attention to your post..in fact thinking about it, I don't know which branch she's at but it's somewhere in your vicinity, but you couldn't go far wrong with this lady: http://www.manorvets.co.uk/tea/marie-kubiak/ For reasons best known to the veterinary profession, rabbits are classified as 'exotics'!

Good luck xx

Last edited:
Thank you for everyone's responses! Really helpful to get some advice! I'm based in Dorridge, I have used 608 vets and he has seen Deb Hope but I am just very anxious as he seems perfectly happy as he is, and when he had surgery on his teeth last summer they emphasised that it was a strong possibility he wouldn't make it, so I'm fairly paranoid about it.

also, anyone's experience of neutering older rabbits and litter training would be great!

when he had surgery on his teeth last summer they emphasised that it was a strong possibility he wouldn't make it, so I'm fairly paranoid about it.

Mmm yes, that wouldn't inspire me with the greatest confidence! My little Santa had regular dentals under anaesthetic right up until she died age 8 and my vets never batted an eyelid. Of course there is always a small risk, but alarm bells would be ringing for me at a vet who thinks it's a strong possibility that a 4 year old wouldn't make it through a dental!

If I were you, if you can get to Edgebaston, I would go for Marie Kubiak as per my link above :)

She's a member of this forum and posts occasionally :) I personally haven't had experience of her, but 'thumps' on the forum had her as her regular vet for a while and always sung her praises about what a competent and caring bunny vet she is :)

i use marie at manor vets she saved my bun when 4 other vets wanted to pts,she has spayed and nuetered all mine would highly recommend her :thumb:

Yeh I've seen her mentioned quite a few times so I'll see if I can get an appointment with her as she is the nearest! Still feeling nervous about it though!!! Would feel so so guilty if anything happened to him.

Back