• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Kushi has a prolapsed rectum..UD she's gone

reehsetin

Warren Scout
just dropped Kushi off at the vet, she had weed everywhere overnight so checked her this morning and knew something was wrong, really lucky my normal vets were there, she's got an overnight stay tonight for tests and treatment.

has anyone dealt with this before? she's only a baby still, 7ish months, really hope she'll be okk...

29 jan edit - Kushi had been getting better but was still occasionally prolapsed, but she stopped eating last night, went to the vets and got medication, watched and cared for her overnight but she didn't improve, took her back to the vets this morning where she had to be PTS :cry:

Last edited:
Ive never heard of this before so cant really offer any advice, just wanted to send loads of vibes for Kushi xxxxx

I can't offer any advice either :( Sounds like she's in the best place. I hope the vet can help her. Sending lots of vibes for Kushi xx

I have seen it before. The Rabbit had corrective surgery and made a full recovery. The actual cause of the problem was not established in his case, but in some cases it can be a consequence of a problem higher up in the GI tract or Coccidiosis

thanks for the vibes

vets were saying that they need to establish why it happened and treat the cause too so they're doing a lot of digging and we need to take a poo sample in for tests, but she's been acting absolutely fine and there are no red flags for what's caused it.

so anyone else can spot what it is if it happens to them, this was Kushi this morning

IMG_20120115_111659.jpg
IMG_20120115_111649.jpg

oooh - sore

If you need recommendations for a surgeon who can do the most incredible things with bunny genitals and rectums etc - my vet has done 3 different rabbits for me - one with congenital abnormalities of rectum and vagina that had to be reconstructed, one whose anus needed rebuilding after a fight resulted in wounding and tail amputation, and then just this week Psrsley had to have partial penis amputation and rebuilding of urethera after a head humping accident . . -

I would recommend her totally and thoroughly (we are in Cambridge - she is in the south side of the town easy to get to). Other vets admit they could never attempt some of what she achieves - heard yesterday that she even did a corrective dental and removal on a giant snail!!! I didn't even know they had teeth!!!

Looks really sore.

No advice to give sadly as never heard of this before, sounds like she is in the best place and you are doing everything you can for her.

Lots of love and vibes to both of you xx

She does look v sore but she seemed happy as anything this morning :?

Thanks parsnipbunill keepthat in mind,hopefully I wont need to my vets have been really highly recommend as being great with buns

I think the vets said she had Coccidiosis, just googled it (big mistake!) It says it's usually fatal and even if not it can cause permanent damage

they say she's perky and ok but surely that's really serious... will need to speak to them again and confirm!

Kushi had been getting better but was still occasionally prolapsed, but she stopped eating last night, went to the vets and got medication, watched and cared for her overnight but she didn't improve, took her back to the vets this morning where she had to be PTS :cry:

Kushi had been getting better but was still occasionally prolapsed, but she stopped eating last night, went to the vets and got medication, watched and cared for her overnight but she didn't improve, took her back to the vets this morning where she had to be PTS :cry:

I am so sorry :cry:

RIP Kushi xx

Back