• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Think my rabbit's time has nearly come, advice?

toffeej

New Kit
Hi guys.

Well basically my rabbit is 4 and a half years old and has had a few various health problems/brushes with death throughout his life but I think his time might finally be coming. We're currently waiting for lab results for a huge abscess in his abdomen which has meant he has had a swollen and uncomfortable belly since March. I'm sure it wont shock you all to know that the vets we go to have been **** and it is only since going to a new vet at this same practice a couple of weeks ago that she has diagnosed an abscess and bothered to ultrasound him etc (he had the ultrasound while conscious). He's on baytril at the moment and will be moved onto different antibiotics if the labs indicate there would be something more effective for him.

However, the vets have already mentioned surgical removal after an attempt to shrink it down with antibiotics. We've discussed it as a family and we're not prepared for him to undergo surgery as we feel the he isn't strong enough to either survive the general anaesthetic or recover from the surgery, plus I know abdominal surgery in rabbits doesn't tend to have a great outcome. When he was castrated at 6months he went into GI stasis as he would not eat following the surgery and very nearly died.

It's important for me to mention that although he is eating loads and loves his food as he has always done, Toffee has lost ALL his body fat. I can feel every rib and every ridge of his spine when stroking him, it's literally just skin and no fat covering the bones. So I know that it's a good sign he's eating, but basically he doesn't have the fat on him or weight on him to survive, so there's definitely something going on to make him lose so much weight. He's also started going to the toilet all over the place and doesn't use his litter tray anymore, when he has always gone to the toilet in the same places since he was little. However, he is also still grooming and inquisitive, which by the condition of his body I wouldn't expect.

Basically I just want to spoil him with food & cuddles and make him as comfortable as possible, I don't really want to put him through lots of medical treatment etc. when he seems to be slipping away anyway. We have said that if he starts to stop eating/stop grooming/hunches quietly in the corner/grinds his teeth uncomfortably etc. we will have him put to sleep.

I would just like some feedback of you all as to what you would do in this situation, as I just want to do what's best for him and be reassured that I will have done the right thing for him. Really wish they could speak sometimes!!

Thank you xx

As I was typing that he has just lay down for the first time in weeks as he usually only sits due to his stomach - why are they so confusing lol?! x

My advice would be to follow your gut instinct and trust yourself. If what you're saying in your post is what your gut instinct is saying, then follow it. Also follow that gut instinct as to when the time is right.

I would say though, to make sure he is on a high level of pain relief to help him remain comfortable (if he isn't already).

I have no advice but i'm sure you will know what's best. Vibes for your very special boy, it sounds like you are giving him the best possible care.x.x.

I'm so sorry you're facing this decision. :cry: I think you'll know when it's time to let him go. Listen to your vet and trust your instincts. Sending vibes for Toffee and hugs for you xx

My girl Inca has/had a huge list of problems (EC, deformed back end, arthritis, numerous small abscesses and much more), at one point she was just a bag of bones, so skinny that I could feel all of her ribs. She has always been a good eater, so I gave her more food but it never seemed to help her. She is still around and has put on a good bit of weight, but she still has a good load of problems.

I am of the opinion that if she is happy, eating and having a good quality of life, then I will do all that I can for her to make her happy. She is on daily Metacam & Glucosamine. She often needs 2 / 3 week courses of antibiotics and she needs her back end cleaned often. She also gets monthly acupuncture, but through all of this I can tell that she is happy. If / When this starts to change then I will do what is needed.

So, I am basically saying that imo your bun still seems to be prepared to fight through this, I think that he will let you know when he has had enough.

I definately think that you will need a better antibiotic. Baytril is not great with abscesses. I have always had penicillan injections (My vet uses Ceporex, but there are other people on here that have used other penicillan injections). I would also recommend daily Metacam. One other thing that you could try is Protexin Pro Fibre pellets, I found that these helped to put a bit of weight on my Inca when she was ill, many people on here have had the same results. I buy them direct from here http://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-suppl...rotexin-pro-fibre-for-rabbits-800g-pot-p-1178 I usually buy two at a time to save on postage, but you could always buy something else to make the order up to £19.

I understand why you have chosen not to go for the Op. I honestly would do the exact same with my Inca.

Back