• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly bunny :( need advice please!

My rabbit is nearly 1 year old and called thumper :) he is a house rabbit and gets lots of attention. I have had 2 take him to the vets this week because I noticed his left eye look irritated and was watering a lot. The vet said it was a tear duct infection and she has given me some drops to try; Tiacil Ophthalmic Solution 5ml. The drops have 2 be applied 3 times a day. This is only the 2nd day he has been on the drops and I have noticed he his not himself. He is usually a very lively cheerful bunny but since I took him to the vets he is constantly licking and grooming himself, always licking down and not running or jumping around like usual. Could there be side effects of the drops or is he just feeling under the weather? He is due back at the vets next week but I was just wondering if there is anything I can do in the meantime to make him feel more comfortable and happy... :)

is he eating ok? Has he stopped eating one particular thing or started eating more of something else? Is he pooing normally?

I haven't heard of those drops in particular. When Mischa had a tear duct infection my vet didn't prescribe any drops, instead he prescribed antibiotics to get rid of the infection. :)

I have noticed he has stopped eating hay and he has also gone off fresh food he will leave carrots or cabbage when I put that it and he is nornally very greedy with a big appetite.

I have noticed he has stopped eating hay and he has also gone off fresh food he will leave carrots or cabbage when I put that it and he is nornally very greedy with a big appetite.

Did the vet check his teeth, particularly his back teeth, with an otoscope?

Runny eyes can be a sign of dental pain, and not eating is a big sign of dental pain.

Sending vibes for your bunny. I would definitely get his teeth checked, and report to your vet that he seems worse since taking the drops (in case they do carry side effects). xx

Did the vet check his teeth, particularly his back teeth, with an otoscope?

Runny eyes can be a sign of dental pain, and not eating is a big sign of dental pain.

Yes she did, she was a bit concerned that his front ones were not allign but she didn't seem too worried about them she put some dye into his eye and it didn't show through his nose which indicated a blocked tear duct. But should that make his behaviour change because he is not himself at all and seems really unhappy

Sending vibes for your bunny. I would definitely get his teeth checked, and report to your vet that he seems worse since taking the drops (in case they do carry side effects). xx

Okay, thank you. I will try and make him a sooner appointment because he isn't booked until the 16th. I've just tried 2 give him another drop but his eye seems worse it has got white gunk around it and looks red inside. I don't know whether 2 carry on with them or not?

did she check his back teeth with an otoscope? I was thinking it could be teeth too. I've heard of tiacil. They are antibiotic drops.

I'd ring your vet and ask for advice as to the eyedrops and tell them he is not eating properly.

Not eating properly is often a sign of pain somewhere.

He sounds like he is in gut slowdown, which if not dealt with can escalate into stasis... personally I'd want him on metacam to see if he perks up, if he does then it is likely pain related. I'd also want him given a gut stimulant, recovery food to give at home and fibreplex, all of these to help speed his gut back up.

What is gut slowdown? Are all those things vet prescribed? I will have 2 wait until monday 2 ring the vets. I feel really sorry for him :( he does not look well

What is gut slowdown? Are all those things vet prescribed? I will have 2 wait until monday 2 ring the vets. I feel really sorry for him :( he does not look well

If he is in gut slowdown it's going to get worse before Monday. I'd phone the vet back now before they close for the day.

Rabbits need to keep eating, their guts need to keep moving to survive. They are not like dogs or cats or humans, if they stop eating they go into gut stasis (the gut stops moving), and if they dont come out of stasis they die.

A gut slowdown is when the gut is slowing down, which can lead to it slowing to a halt.

Stasis and gut slowdowns are often secondary conditions, they are usually caused by a first illness or pain somewhere that causes the rabbit to not want to eat.

Here is some info on gi stasis: http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Yes you can get all those things from a vet. You can get recovery food and fibreplex without a prescription online as well, but it will be faster for you to get it from the vet.

You need to ring the vet today. Your vets should have an emergnecy service, or be able to refer you to an emergency service. There will always be someone to talk to on the phone at any time of day or night, on any day, and someone also to see if need be.

Definitely sounds like teeth to me. :( It could be the roots which there isn't much you can do to help other than give painkillers. You could try offering soaked soft pellets or grated carrot as they're easier to eat. Also try dandilions or fresh herbs like parsely. Keep us updated and good luck.

Are you going to call the vet? Strongly advise it. It may or may not be teeth, your vet has prescribed antibiotic drops for an infection and it sounds like it is getting worse. The lack of eating and therfore pooping is probably a sign of pain, whether from his eye or teeth it needs to be addressed. If the pain continues he will continue to refuse food and this will put his life in danger - as has been explained in other posts ref GI Stasis.

Sorry to sound so alarming but this really is a critical time and needs to be addressed now. It cannot wait until Monday and I would not leave him tonight either. Please get him to an emergency vet tonight.

Keeping everything crossed for you x

Back