• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezing again - advice required

whitehood

Warren Veteran
Hello

Lucky's been sneezing loads..
5-12 sneezes a day. 3-4 days in a week.
It's not causing his any disconfort and he seems well other than that.
He poops and eats hay fine.

I really can't think of the cause..
Help me try to figure it out please.

Snuffles - could be.. His discharge is clear never white or yellow. Is clear discharge better than the coloured ?
Allergy - Can't be to his hay, it's not that dusty he's not always around his hay when he sneezes.
Tear Duct Infection - His tear ducts were blocked, we were given Tiacil to drop into both of his eyes. This didn't make a difference to his sneezing and the vet didn't test whether or not the tear ducts were still blocked.
Foreign body in nose - it can't be from both nostrils surely.
Dry air from heating - could be however it's not always switched on when he sneezes.
Teeth - I don't know he hasn't beene x rayed.

The vet did say if he's on a diet of 24/7 hay, veg, pellets and water his problem could be solved but it's not making a difference.

I'm not going to adopt another rabbit until Lucky gets the all clear.

Sorry it's a long thread but I would really really appreciate it if you could answer my questions or/and add any more possibities and advice.

I'm trying not to be selfish but I'd rather get Lucky treated for his sneezing rather than living with it forever.

Sounds like he has similar snuffles to my Barney, no, or hardly any mucus from the nose, small amount of clear discharge from the eyes, seems fine, but sneezing. His chest always sounds fine on listening. Everytime he has needed a dental he has had a flare-up.

I have him on a vitamin supplement and bisolvon daily and that really helps, the bisolvon is a miracle.

I think from your description it is Lucky's snuffles acting up. And yes I think thin, clear discharge in better than coloured. You are right to want to get it treated - Barney has permenant scarring in his airways that the vet thinks are from previous infections not treated (before I got him), which means that his breathing is never going to be 100%.

I'd get Lucky to the vet tomorrow, before the weekend, and get some treatment for him, and also get his teeth checked.

Sorry, don't have any advice but I hope Lucky's sneezing can be helped soon! Must be so frustrating knowing something's not right but not knowing what:(!xoxox

bisc's snuffles symptoms were always a clear discharge and not much coming out aswell. he sneezed but they were were more raspy sneezes rather than snotty bunged up sneezes. he was fine otherwise but does have a respiratory problem and also scarring in the nose.

a three month course of penicillin injections was all bisc ever needed although he does have twice daily nebulising with parvolex and hypertonic saline to keep his airways clear as the scarring causes his nostrils to close too much when he's asleep.

it does sound like snuffles so a longer course of medication is probably needed, usually 6 weeks - 3 months to make sure it reaches right into all the spores in the nose. if the course is too short, they will seem better but then they will start up again because the infection wasn't fully cleared from the spores.

my vet will always do a 3 month course at the first signs of snuffles to get on top of it quickly. in most cases that will be all that is needed, along with metacam for any inflammation. after that, if the infection comes back in under six months he then does testing to find a different med, but if it's over six months then he will use the same medication as a ' top up' and it usually settles down again within a few weeks.

the other option is nebulising. this will get the meds right into where they need to be and i have found it has been the best thing for bisc and matt by a long way. even just saline alone can help bring relief. or meds can be added aswell.

it's hard to get control over snuffles but i do think it sounds as though it is so i think a longer course of meds is probably needed, along with metacam to control any swelling in the nasal passages.

it's worrying but like i say, bisc took only three months to clear his infection, he never had to have any c+s tests or xrays, but through another check over he was found to have scar damage so is now on twice daily nebulising and metacam for good.

matt took a long time. nothing worked. he has been through all the tests many times, had the mucus drained from his nose, been on every med possible, meds added together. the mucus was basically too bad for meds to work so we decided to nebulise them instead and this was a massive step forward.

matt took about a year and a half to get stable. he now has twice daily nebulising with parvolex and hypertonic saline, and when he flares up (was two weeks at first but is now usually 5 weeks) he has another med added to the mix, gentamicin, which is for a week. bisc is stable enough to have this week off nebulising.

i'm rambling but basically i think a longer course is needed and try not to get too upset because it can take a while to get hold of, but can be controlled really well when you do find the combo that works.

oh, my actual point was that bisc had those same symptoms and it did turn out he had respiratory problems! :oops: so clear discharge can be snuffles. and if you had seen the state of matt you wouldn't have thought he would ever be stable. but get a grip on it asap if possible to avoid any further damage like scar tissue etc. :)

My old boy RIO has been snuffling and sneezing a bit the last few weeks.He'll be 8 in April ,so a grandad bun.I have eye cream for him,his right eye was a bit weepy.The last few days it's dried up.I shall keep him healthy as best I can,my big old white tortie boy! :)
I would also urge you to visit a vet with your bun,:):)

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about Lucky. When my partner and I got Evie in June last year she suffered from white discharge (predominently from her nose) and sneezing. We were given septrin but that didn't seem to do much and so we went down the vitamin route. Since July and to this day she has red raspberry leaf sprinkled on her pellets, vitamin drops and 1ml of echinecea mixed in with her water and hasn't sneezed nor had any discharge since.

I hope that helps

I'm still monitoring Lucky he seems fine and I think he's decreased the amount of sneezing.

I was advised by the vet last time I went that it could be suppressed with a healthy diet :wave:

I've been giving him hay [24/7], bit of carrot and a bit of apple 2-3 times a week and pellets at the end of the day.

I'm still monitoring Lucky he seems fine and I think he's decreased the amount of sneezing.

I was advised by the vet last time I went that it could be suppressed with a healthy diet :wave:

I've been giving him hay [24/7], bit of carrot and a bit of apple 2-3 times a week and pellets at the end of the day.

I would substitute greens for carrot and apple (both very sugary).

I would substitute greens for carrot and apple (both very sugary).

This :thumb: Carrot and apple should only be given rarely as a treat, not every week. Try giving herbs (corriander, parsley, basil are the ones I know of and get buy easily) and spring greens maybe? Boris sneezes sometimes as he has allergic rhinitis (not sure on spelling sorry) but I try to keep him away from things which set it off. We know he has this as he has no discharge and his nose is clean, his sneezes are also very small, he also hasn't done it for a while now. His teeth were also checked when he was under for his neuter. Hope you find out how to reduce Lucky's sneezing, has he had any tests?

Back