• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

And they call it Bunny love!

Aliswan

Warren Scout
Hi all.

I took the plunge today and decided to start the bunny bonding of Bambi and Wrex. I've decided to do the keep them together method as I feel awful having Wrex in his cage it just seems too small!

I've set up my bathroom as their neutral territory as it's just me home this week so not disturbing anyone. I put them both in there this morning and can't believe how well it has gone. No fighting at all a bit of mounting both ways but Wrex is coming out on top (I would have put money on Bambi being the dominant one because of her size). They are cuddling up and grooming each other already. :D I'm so proud!

Wrex a little bit nervous to start with:
DSCF5449.jpg

Bambi clearly couldn't care less at this point:
DSCF5461.jpg

Sharing some cabbage:
DSCF5464.jpg

Cuddle time:
DSCF5472.jpg

I'm moved the camp bed onto the landing so I can keep an eye on them all night and have stolen my sister's baby monitor for the brief moments I have to leave them, e.g. for food. The bathroom window is wide open so it's going to be a chilly night for me but totally worth it!

The only issue I've noticed is that Wrex has wee'd on Bambi's back... not sure if this is normal or not?

I'll keep this post updated with how they are getting on and will hopefully have them moved back into the shed soon.

We love those photos and we had a good laugh at how 'stressed' Bambi was. :lol:

I'm so glad it's going well. Wrex has obviously settled down too and isn't feeling as stressed as he was.

That sounds fine with the weeing, don't worry.

Keep the photos coming!

Agree with all the above. Early days and you're doing the right thing with monitoring them. Promising start and I sincerely hope this is the beginning of something wonderful.... p.s. have I said how uber gorgeous these buns are :love:

That is so brilliant to see! I hope that all continues so happily and you are warm enough tonight!

bunny bonding

your bunnies are so beautiful hope all goes well and im sure we will all love to see some more pics of snuggles :D

Thank you all!

They both had a great night, I however didn't enjoy it much lol woke up and thought my nose was going to fall off it was so cold!

However, waking up to this made it all worthwhile!

IMAG0137.jpg

IMAG0139.jpg

This looks speeded up but he was actually just going that fast, then he heard the postman opening the gate.

She needs to be called Queen Bambi!

That's a lovely video. What an awesome addition to your house Wrex is.

Wrex so obviously wanted bunny lovin'! Love how Bambi sits there, so contended and lets her new man give her a good thorough grooming :love:

Awesome!

After another chilly night for me, feeling very sleep deprived atm, I am proud to announce that I think my bunnies are totally loved up :D they seem joined at the hip atm :D I have given them a bit more space this morning (the run of the landing as well as the bathroom) and they are getting along brilliantly binkying together and chinning everything they can get close to.

My only worry is that Wrex is still weeing on Bambi... does anyone know how I can prevent this or will he just stop on his own? There's no mounting, nipping or any other sort of dominating behaviour except the wee!

Also I spent yesterday evening cleaning the shed, toys, run and everything else Bambi has been in contact with, with vinegar (it stinks!) and it has all dried overnight. Do you think I should move them out into their shed together yet? I'll spend the day out there with them and not let them into the tunnel/run just yet and then set the baby monitor up overnight and sleep in the living room so if anything were to happen I'd be close at hand.

Thanks

I think that him weeing is him claiming her and this should ease when he is stable, althoguh might rear it's head in spring, times like that.

If you've done 72 hours with no problems, and you trust them to be together overnight and at the times when they are most likely to fight (dawn and dusk) then you can move them back in, but I would try not to give them anymore space than what they currently have in the bathroom.

Great thank you, I feel a bit better about the weeing now, the poor girl is such a clean freak she is spending forever having to clean herself up.

I'm at 50 or so hours so I'll wait a little longer before moving them out. The bathroom has the same amount of floor space as the shed so I think they'll be fine in there, just wish I had a camera for when they go in. How long would you recommend before I open up the whole space for them. I'm not enjoying their lack of free range time, poor cooped up bunnies :( I know it's only temporary but there's nothing better than watching Bambi's ears fly as she runs around the garden!

And they call it Bunny love!...in the shed!

Well I took the next big step and moved my two gorgeous buns into their shed (smelling less strongly of vinegar but still got a whiff)! They spent the morning in the bathroom after another peaceful night then I moved them out this afternoon and spent the day in the shed with them. Doing my final project for uni, who would have thought I could be so constructive whilst sat in a shed lol.

I was worried about Bambi (as it was her house first...) but she was no bother at all. They both went round chinning everything in reach before Bambi did her usual flop and Wrex was straight there to groom her, a bit strange coz he seems to be top bun but is first to groom, just a thoughtful husbun I guess. They were settled in no time. The baby monitor is set up for the night and I can hear them hopping about in there and the rustle of the hay rack so I feel happy to leave them. But saying that I'm still sleeping in the dining room with the back door unlocked, dressing gown and slippers on and key to the shed and torch very close at hand in the event that I hear anything which doesn't sound quite right...

Wrex doesn't seem to be weeing on Bambi quite as much today so hopefully that is a good sign. However, he needs some significant litter training as he wees and poos wherever he wants! Can anyone suggest the best way to go about this as I don't want to separate them to train Wrex in the same way I trained Bambi (in a small space, increasing as she showed that she was returning to her tray)?

Back