• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sore hocks again

tanya_306

Alpha Buck
My mini lop gets sore hocks. He is currently living in the conservatory with his two wifey buns. The floor in there is laminate and the cage is carpeted with thick plush carpet. I went to check on them before bed to discover another blood bath from Otis' hock. I bandaged it up and waited foe the bleeding to stop, just as the vet advised. My worry is how and why it keeps bleeding?

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks!

You need to try to find out why he is getting sore hocks.

Does he have mobility problems ?

Is he overweight ?

How old is he ?

Carpet and lino are not ideal for Rabbits with sore hocks. Deep soft hay is the best substrate.

As the skin is obviously broken he does need to be seen by a Vet. If infection gets into the hock it can become very serious indeed :cry:

He is nearly two and is in perfect health, apart from his hocks. He is the ideal weight for a mini lop and is fine on his feet. He has never had balancing problems.
Thee vet thinks his huge run outside may have started off his sore hocks. It is on a patio because his wifey buns are good diggers! We prevented his hocks from getting bad by buying foam mats for him. That seemed to work.
He is in for the winter now and we have had bleeding hocks twice since November. The vet thought his carpeted cage was ok because it is so thick. I assumed that the laminate would be ok as it is so smooth.

He is nearly two and is in perfect health, apart from his hocks. He is the ideal weight for a mini lop and is fine on his feet. He has never had balancing problems.
Thee vet thinks his huge run outside may have started off his sore hocks. It is on a patio because his wifey buns are good diggers! We prevented his hocks from getting bad by buying foam mats for him. That seemed to work.
He is in for the winter now and we have had bleeding hocks twice since November. The vet thought his carpeted cage was ok because it is so thick. I assumed that the laminate would be ok as it is so smooth.

The carpet will be abrasive and Rabbits cannot put their feet to ground in the correct position on lino because it is too slippery. So the Rabbit takes weight on their hocks rather than on their toes, if you see what I mean.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Pod/Podo.htm

Thank you... the link was an interesting read.

The blue bandage used for the hocks in the link is the same stuff my vet gave me for Otis .... although he said I shouldn't leave it on. :?

Do you think the foam mats would help Otis in the conservatory? He can't slip on that and it's very soft on his hocks.

Thank you... the link was an interesting read.

The blue bandage used for the hocks in the link is the same stuff my vet gave me for Otis .... although he said I shouldn't leave it on. :?

Do you think the foam mats would help Otis in the conservatory? He can't slip on that and it's very soft on his hocks.

Yes as long as they dont slip about and he does not chew them !!

One of my buns suffers from sore hocks and he is indoors living in the lounge for winter. I lay a pile of 4 fleece blankets on the carpet where their hay basket is by the windows where they like to lie and play. I've then got foam mats with fleeces on top in their NIC pen, with more fleeces in two other places in the lounge where they tend to sit most. I either layer fleeces on top of each other or fold them until it creates a more cushioned surface. Not as good as hay or grass, but his hocks haven't bled for months now.

:wave: Would def go with the foam mats and loads of 100% cotton sheets over your carpet.
Our Oscar had the start of sore hocks, my god i was beside myself. Rich covered the foam mats in cotton sheets and glued the edges down, we put these in his 'high activity areas'. We then covered our carpet in king size cotton sheets. His hocks at this time have a good 'comb over' on them (thanks to some brill advice on here).

x

Back