• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

boys been fighting again

cooldarls

Alpha Buck
my two french lop boys who are neutured have been fighting today to the point of barney and bracken having cuts in their ears and loads of fur missing. I am too scared to put them back together. what am i going to do. They are both nearly 12 months and have never been apart. they are always together and happily snuggled up. they look so sad tonight being apart but i dont want them to become horrid to each other and something awful happens.

I think you've done exactly the right thing.

Have you checked them over for other injuries? Keep checking them for the next couple of days as well because often they only become clear when scabbed.

Do you know what triggered it?

me and mum have checked both of them twice. bracken has cuts on his ears and i little one on his back and Barney has 2 cuts on his ears 1 is pretty big. I dont know what triggered it. they live in a 7ft long hutch with a 7ft by 7ft run so they have loads of room. went out this morning and noticed all the fur. Bracken was up in the hutch and came to me and then Barney came up and they just started again on each other. they used to chase when they were little, but it was playing and if it went to far just saying their names would stop it but today they both ignored me and carried on at each other. I managed to get Bracken as he was going past me and took him into mum. I was pretty shook up to see it happening. Took awhile to calm them down and when I went to get Barney to check him he was up at the door ready to see me but very nervous about me being there. soon calmed down again.

do you think they will not be able to go back together again? they were both done 3 months ago so cant be down to testosterone can it.

It's a complete unknown as to whether or not they will rebond because currently there is no knowledge as to why they fought.

It could be time of year, one being ill, something spooked them, a predator being around, a change in their life somehow, and depending what it is depends on whether or not they are rebondable.

They definitely need to remain separate for now though, until they are healed and probably a few weeks beyond before trying anything.

it is really strange, they both seem well and not under the weather, there accommodation is all the same and they have been in it since july. dont normally get anything in the garden, one of the nieghbours has a cat but it never comes in the garden. the only thing that was different was i was half hour late in feeding them. it has been sane time ish over the holidays but today was later doesnt normally bother them. strange and spooky. I know one of them is more dominant than the other but never like this. may need to rething bunny mansions as dad built all my hutches for the bunnys so may need to rethink it all. will leave them like they are for now though. thanks xxx

well just to let you know, my boys are looking better today, I have bathed their ears and they both have been happily eating their veggies and hay today. I have put them in adjoining hutches and runs so they can both see each other in the runs but seperated by wire mesh. They have sat together in their runs and Bracken has been licking Barney. I have decided to have them checked at the vets this week hopefully as they were due for their injections in 2 weeks anyhoo. See what they say. They looked pretty sad last night in their seperate accomodation but tonight seem happier and they as in their own runs but sitting together.

Back