• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutering and spraying

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
Boris is a really bad, or should I say good!, sprayer. He only sprays me but he does it whenever any part of me is on the floor near him, even if I'm sat on a chair cross legged and I reach my arm down to pick something up! He honks, circuls and humps me as well so I am pretty sure his spraying is him marking me, he doesn't spray objects or his pen territorally. Is this likely to stop after his neuter? It is difficult to play with him without getting pee in my face and all over my clothes :oops: :lol: He will hopefully be neutered in January, how many weeks is it when hormones begin to settle down after a neuter, is it 6? I'm really hoping it will calm down/stop, for his sake, as he doesn't understand why I don't like it. Also any post neuter care I need to know? He'll be kept in his pen (appoximately 5ft X 2ft) so he doesn't run around as much, how long should I limit his excerise for? :)

ETA: He's getting neutered weather it will stop the spraying or not, just hoping it will help

Last edited:
It should help ease it, but may not eradicate it completely depending on the bunny. You may see some instant improvement in the spraying but the hormones generally take 6-8 weeks to die down but can take more and certain times of the year can make it worse; such as spring fever/breeding season which he will be slap bang in the middle of by the time they should have died down.

Generally bunnies recover from a neuter well, but you will need some Metacam to give him for about 3 days after. It might be worth having a read of this too. http://flashsplace.webs.com/havinganoperation.htm

Thankyou very much Sky-O :) If he does continue to spray/spray at certain times obviously it won't affect how much I love him but will hopefully make playing with him on the floor easier.

ETA: Just read your article, thankyou :)

Last edited:
Foster bun Peter was a champion urine flicker! :shock: Usually when I first walked into the room he'd get over excited and cover my trousers in wee. :roll:

It calmed down the week after his neuter and we've had several happy wee-free days recently! :D

I hope Boris gives it up soon after his neuter xx

Foster bun Peter was a champion urine flicker! :shock: Usually when I first walked into the room he'd get over excited and cover my trousers in wee. :roll:

It calmed down the week after his neuter and we've had several happy wee-free days recently! :D

I hope Boris gives it up soon after his neuter xx

Ah that's good he stopped :) Hopefully it will be the same with Boris!

Having the same problem with Ozzie. I'm waiting til New Year to get him neutered, I was worried that he may be ill when the vet's were closed. Ok to be honest, I don't like the thought of him going through it at all! But it has to be done, better for him. It's also completely horrible getting a face full, I had that last week.:shock: he actually does kick it into the air, ewww! While I was composing this, he jumped onto the sofa (which has an old towel on it & deftly peed down the back of the cushion.) :cry: I hope both our bunnies calm down on that score!

By the way, vet also told me that RSPCA are doing half price vouchers for neutering in January. I don't know whether it's across the board or for those of us on a rubbish wage... but worth investigating.

My Grayson was neuted in sept, and still sprays but only since eing in with Matilda! he has sprayed her twice!

Luckily neither of my two have ever done this :lol: Not even Bella who's unspayed and completely bonkers at times! I hope neutering will help :)

Thankyou everyone for your replies :)

Ozbun that's why I'm waiting until after new year now I have the money :thumb: I hope your bun stops too, it makes me jump because you can hear it being squirted across the room before it hits you!! :oops: The vouchers are worth looking into, my parents don't have very high pay but I wouldn't say it was poor. I have just thought Gordon is neutered and has never sprayed, not when his environment has changed or when meeting Beano/during breeding season when he's got a bit 'humpy'.

Back