• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fur Mites - I need your help, please!

wench

Young Bun
Hello

I have a pair of bonded bunnies - Winston and Crystal. Unfortunately Winston has developed fur mites, at present Crystal seems all clear. I took them both to the vets this evening and the vet has prescribed 'Seleen' shampoo...which is for dogs. When I questioned him about it he said its the only thing that seems to work and whilst it isn't licensed for rabbits as long as I dont let Winston lick his coat until I have rinsed him it will be ok.

Naturally I am very worried about doing this. Firstly, because I think the stress of giving him a shampoo and rinse will cause him major problems and secondly because I am not happy using a shampoo thats meant for dogs. I questioned the vet about injections and he said not only do they not work very well but that they can be toxic to rabbits...........

I fear Winston only picked up this vets since a recent visit to the vets for something else and dont want to stress him out anymore........can anyone please advise as to any successful treatments they have used in the past? Also, can anyone tell me anything more about 'Seleen'? I have settled Winston and Crystal down for the night now to allow them to calm down after the trip to the vets so haven't started any treatment as yet. Please help as I am so confused as to what is the best thing to do............

Last edited:
I've never heard of shampooing a rabbit, I'd be a bit worried. Can you get a second opinion? Is your vet generally rabbit savvy?

I've had Finx treated with ivermectin for mites before, as a precautionary measure when I found them on Wilson's (hamster) water bottle. It's like the frontline spot-on you can use for cats, but for rabbits, and in a smaller dose, hamsters! I think the treatment depends on the type of mite, but I'd still be dubious about a shampoo. Mine would be traumatised if I tried it! Not to mention cold and wet.

I'm by no means an expert, but it seems odd to me too...

I was given Seleen to use on Dermatitis (but not a full bath, just a localised area) however, I would never use it on a rabbit with mites (especially without trying more mainstrream approaches first) because there are other effective mite treatments that are less stressful and more effective around, such as Ivermectin products.

How is Winston's health?

Winstons Fur Mites

He is in very good health, a very strong boy, nearly three years old never had any health problems

I was once (many years ago) prescribed this shampoo for a bun with mites. It is messy but did work, if that helps. However, as others have said, there are far better and more appropriate treatments available and I would not choose to use it again - especially in winter - as it is stressful for you and the rabbit.

Look at something like the VetUK website to see the range of rabbit mite treatments that are available (ie ivermectin spot-on treatments) without prescription. Some of the ones in pet shops don't have the right ingredients or may not be suitable for rabbits - so check the packet. You will need to treat more than once, I seem to remember.

Also, as has already been mentioned, there is probably an underlying problem which needs to be investigated. Rabbits with mites are usually run down in some way - mine was a bit overweight and prone to a messy bum. I suggest you ask the vet to do a full MOT including a look at the back teeth.

Back