• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

OMG !! Bloody dog just got hold of my bun :(

LynM

New Kit
My poor bunny has just been got by a dog.

Called the vet but can't take him along until 9pm.typical vet thats on call is the large animal vet. last time i seen him he was not very rabbit savvy !!There are no wounds , but he is in shock. Is there anything i can do for him till i get him to the vet ?
he is on a duvet with hotwater bottle underneath at the moment.

My poor bunny has just been got by a dog.

Called the vet but can't take him along until 9pm.typical vet thats on call is the large animal vet. last time i seen him he was not very rabbit savvy !!There are no wounds , but he is in shock. Is there anything i can do for him till i get him to the vet ?
he is on a duvet with hotwater bottle underneath at the moment.

Put him somewhere dark, a pet carrier with the front covered over, or similar.

Poor Bunny :cry:

Keep him warm I think. I cant offer much help. Is there not a different vets that can see you sooner?

Hope your bun will be OK.

Keep him warm, and in a quiet, secure, dark place until you can get him seen.

Good luck!

Oh no! :cry: Keep him warm and quiet. Pop a blanket partially over his carier so it's dark. If you have a good relationship with him sit beside him and talk to him. Make sure he has a little bowl of water in there too.

Do you have other rabbits? Are they secure? Whose dog was it?

Oh no! :cry: Keep him warm and quiet. Pop a blanket partially over his carier so it's dark. If you have a good relationship with him sit beside him and talk to him. Make sure he has a little bowl of water in there too.

Do you have other rabbits? Are they secure? Whose dog was it?

Trevor is my only rabbit. He came to me from a lady i know that has horses. She was just going to let him go in the woods near the stables:shock:.
I thought he was secure but obviously not secure enough. He lives outside in an 8 x 6 Garden shed. I had done evening rounds and gave him more hay. Then came back in the house to tidy up when i heard screaming. I ran out the door to see the Sheperds working collie dragging Trev by the bum up the garden.

Vet has said there is not much we can do apart from what i have done already. If he survives the night he has to go into the surgery tomorrow. :(

My stomach is in knots and i feel sick. I am so stupid and will never forgive myself :cry:

Trevor is my only rabbit. He came to me from a lady i know that has horses. She was just going to let him go in the woods near the stables:shock:.
I thought he was secure but obviously not secure enough. He lives outside in an 8 x 6 Garden shed. I had done evening rounds and gave him more hay. Then came back in the house to tidy up when i heard screaming. I ran out the door to see the Sheperds working collie dragging Trev by the bum up the garden.

Vet has said there is not much we can do apart from what i have done already. If he survives the night he has to go into the surgery tomorrow. :(

My stomach is in knots and i feel sick. I am so stupid and will never forgive myself :cry:

Please dont blame yourself, accidents happen:cry: I hope Trevor is okay and the surgery goes well tomorrow:wave:

So sorry. :(
Accidents happen. I hope he makes it through the night. Keep him warm and dark. Offer him his favourite foods.
What is the surgery for tomorrow? :(

Do you mean surgery as in the procedure - or surgery as in the place?

I hope he is okay - poor bun.

Don't blame yourself - it's not your fault x

Yes he has been seen by the vet. If he makes it through the night he will go back for a more indepth check up tomorrow. The vet did not want to cause anymore upset to him. He said rabbits are very difficult to treat for shock. Much easier in bigger animals when a drip can be used. He also aid if he tried to do anything to him tonight it may just push him over the edge.

Trevor is being kept warm, dark and quite. Vet said i must resisit the urge to check on him every 5 mins. Which i am finding difficult.

Yes he has been seen by the vet. If he makes it through the night he will go back for a more indepth check up tomorrow. The vet did not want to cause anymore upset to him. He said rabbits are very difficult to treat for shock. Much easier in bigger animals when a drip can be used. He also aid if he tried to do anything to him tonight it may just push him over the edge.

Trevor is being kept warm, dark and quite. Vet said i must resisit the urge to check on him every 5 mins. Which i am finding difficult.

It sounds like you have a good vet. Sending loads of vibes.

Back