• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Violent Rabbit

Dave81

Mama Doe
I've had my 2 girls for a couple of months now, they are probably around 5 to 6 months old, both house bunnies.

one of them is getting quite awkward to pick up she constantly fights it, never use to be this bad, I also got bitten today she wouldn't let go and was actually hanging off my hand!

Could it be she is starting to get hormonal?

She is eating and drinking fine the droppings look fine. I thought around her eyes look a bit red but I'm not sure they are now.

Anyway a bit of advise please, I will ring the vets if anything changes.

My Tinkerbell was a little watsit before she was spayed, she used to jump up onto hubby's lap and bite him!

It does sound like the hormones are kicking in and are old enough to go and see your vet and ask about having them spayed.

They sound the exact age for hormones to be kicking in.

I reckon you should have a chat with the vet about spaying them - because if you leave it too long, they will end up fighting with each other and that would be a shame.

Female rabbits have a very (I believe 80%) chance of getting uterine cancer as well if they are not spayed - so it's a good move either way.

Could well be hormones, Id advise getting her spayed ASAP.

Most bunnies dont actually enjoy being handled. My Charlotte is darling, very relaxed and friendly girl, LOVES a stroke but oh my god she is an absolute nightmare to handle :shock: None of the others enjoy it either, I only pick them up if I have to ie. for nail clipping etc.

It might take a while to regain her trust so dont push the issue. Only handle her when necessary and only stroke her if she wants to be stroked, dont force her into anything. Hopefully she will calm down in time :wave:

Yup, will most likely be hormones. Beano my female was very aggressive before her spay, afterwards once she'd settled she was much better. :) Most rabbits don't like to be handled, try to keep handling to a minimum if it stresses her, only for health checking etc.

Back