• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit keeps sneezing?!

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
Well the rabbit got caught out in a bit of rain today :( I brought her inside to dry her off and the fact that her hutch was far too wet to put her back in since I had forgotten to cover it over :(
So I have kept her inside for the night, tried to keep it as cool as I can since she has a winter coat.
I have been sat with her and swore I heard the odd quiet sneeze but couldn't tell for sure. Now she suddenly has had a couple of sneezing fits! :(
I am worried it might be because she got wet and cold but I am hoping it might be something caught in her nose like a bit of dust or something from the floor.
She is acting pretty normal apart from the sneezing :/ what could it be?

That seems awfully sudden for her to get sick from being wet but I don't really know. If I had to guess I would say she might be sneezing from something irritating her in the house. Is this the first time that she has been in the house? When you put her back out if she is still sneezing I'd take her to the vet. Hopefully someone who knows more will come along soon.

She has been in the house a few times before and I never noticed her sneezing. She keeps rubbing her nose when she does it though. I brought her in about 2-3ish in the afternoon and she started to sneeze around 11ish. It is now 1 in the morning and she wont stop sneezing :(
I am not sure what could be causing it, there is nothing new that might be causing her to sneeze

Check her paws, are they wet or damp from rubbing her nose? Any sign of a runny nose?

If she is still sneezing when you put her outdoors tomorrow morning I would take her to the vet.

Also I would change the positioning of your hutch if driving rain can get in and make it wet, as you cant keep bringing her inside, the stress from changing territories and the temp change can trigger illnesses like snuffles.

I know I try not to bring her in too often in the winter since the temp change but I have tried to keep her nice and cool. She has been in a couple of times before (constant rain meant she wasn't able to get out so let her have a run around in the house) and she has seemed pretty normal. What is snuffles? :(

I know I try not to bring her in too often in the winter since the temp change but I have tried to keep her nice and cool. She has been in a couple of times before (constant rain meant she wasn't able to get out so let her have a run around in the house) and she has seemed pretty normal. What is snuffles? :(

Snuffles is the name for the illness (usually a respiritory infection) caused by a few different bacteria that live in the majoritory of rabbit's systems harmlessly and the rabbits are just carriers. However stressful events or temperature changes, among other things, make it more likely for the bacteria to flair up. Some rabbits are more prone to snuffles for various reasons, but once the bacteria gains the upper hand over the immune system, is 'triggered' as such, it is often a chronic illness that is incurable. You cant get rid of it, you can only control flair-ups. It is important to get any flair-ups treated asap, because they can cause permenant damage. Rabbits do die in severe cases, but generally, with a good vet and enough treatment, it is managable and the rabbit can still live a happy life. Snuffle buns are also often more at risk from anesthetic, because of their breathing/chest. It is a terribly frustrating illness for your rabbit to have because you can never cure them of it and treatment can be hit and miss, and watching their sneezing fits distress them is heartbreaking.

You may also know it as 'pasturella', which is the name of one of the more common bacterias to cause it.

Hope that helps :)

Oh my god I hope it isn't snuffles I didn't know something like temp changes could cause it....This is very upsetting :( I just want her to be alright

I think I will. I am getting really upset and paranoid. I am watching her every move and can't sleep...

both my two have long term respiratory problems. so i know the feeling. but aslong as you are taking her to the vets at the first signs there may be something wrong, chances are she will be ok. and she may just have got some cold air up her nose and not have snuffles. but even with snuffles, they can be kept stable. my two have chronic snuffles and they're doing well and keeping stable. you've done the right thing bringing her in and keeping her warm and you're taking her to the vets so she will be checked over.

try not to worry. easier said than done i know. hugs x

Well she is sleeping in a dog bed with a towel and I can't hear any snoring or mucus snuffling and she hasn't sneezed while asleep. She seems quite sound for now, feeling a little more relaxed. Will take her for a checkup asap. Thankyou all, hopefully I can get a little sleep x

I think I figured out why she was sneezing. I watched what she did after she woke up from her sleep without sneezing and found that when she was on/sniffing the rug she was having violent sneezes. I took the rug away and she seems perfectly fine :D I will keep an eye on her just in case but I am very relieved that taking the rug away stopped the sneezing.
I also saw her do a bunny flop for the first time ever :love: she did 3 lol

How warm is the room you've now kept her in overnight?

If it's anything more than a couple of degrees different from outside where you are, the temperature change could really make her ill :(

It is quite cold. I have got the heating off in here the whole night and tried to keep the window open. I have had to wrap up in 4 layers

Back