• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Narrowly avoided a fight. Spay time perhaps? Opinions needed please!

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
Hi :wave:

I have 2 rabbits, girls, sisters in fact so together since birth.

Coco is usually the dominant one - stealing treats from Thumper and giving chase to Thumper to get said treat. Thumper, in fact, won't go near Coco to ger her own treat (I give 2 of everything but if Thumps drops hers and Coco is near it, Thumps won't go near).

Anyway. Thumper has been humping Coco for weeks; Coco didn't seem to mind. She would hump her head; Coco didn't mind.

Tonight, however, was vastly different. Had them in the utility for the kids to play with them and for more human interaction else come 4.30 they're in the hutch on their own.

Both getting on fine. Then Thumper humped Coco. Coco no likey and grunted, ran off. Thumper followed. Thumper humped Coco's head. Again, Coco no likey and ran off. Thumper followed and this time yanked out some of Coco's fur as she ran off. I think you get the picture. Eventually, after about 5 mins of this, it turned a bit more aggressive. Who chased who I can't be certain as it's only the paws that are different colour - Thumper is brown with white feet and Coco is just brown. They moved so fast I couldn't tell, but I think they both chased each other. Litter tray skidding out the way, toys being skidded out the way. What they would have done if they caught each other I can only guess at.

Oh, they've also started pooping upstairs - never done that before. Also, Coco was right by the litter tray in the utility - but did a wee on the old dust sheet I put down.

Why are they behaving like this? I'm guessing they were born in May so are about 6 months old. Is it time for the vet trip before they really fall out and then remain arch enemies even after being neutered? I'd hate to have to split them up. Actually I couldn't - I don't have room for 2 hutches so if they did fall out big time I'm afraid one would have to go ... :shock: and I don't want that as I love them both to bits.

I'm thinking see how things go over the next say week or so and then if it's still the same, vet here we come.

However, I'd like opinions please. Thanks.

Sorry no idea :wave: didn't want to read and run though :) they probably do need spaying from what you say though :)

Oh gosh, i hope everything settles down! :( We have two sisters too and I know they will groom each other and then it gets a bit silly and one leaps over the other one and they chase each other but 5 mins later they are back sat together grooming again...but i live in fear of them fighting! One of ours id def more dominant than the other. Im counting down untill they are 6 months and we can get them both spayed!! Hope everything is ok x

Hi there,

I think you should definitely think about spaying the both of them. Hormones get in the way of even the closest of siblings! At 6 mths, they are just about old enough (for males they can neutered a little younger), and if you are worried about it being a dangerous op, it usually isn't. Rabbits in good health usually come out just fine.

Additional, or should I say, a HUGE plus of spaying is that they dont have to worry about coming down with uterine cancer in the future - the statistics aren't so nice for rabbits that are not spayed.

There are no guarantees that they will become best of friends after their spays - but it will surely calm them down and i think they should fight a lot less.

I had my little girl bun spayed a few months ago becos her brother (who was neutered!) could not stop trying to hump her! She was so stressed and turned aggressive towards him once, biting him on the nose, drawing blood. She also grunted a lot. After her spay, they still have the odd chase, but nothing serious. She has also stopped grunting. :D

Good luck!

6 months old is old enough to be spayed. This sounds hormonal to me. Separate them, spay them, keep them separate for about a month (cages close by so they can see each other but can't bite through the bars) while the hormones dissipate and they heal, then slowly reintroduce them by using bonding dates where they spend time together in a neutral territory. Take it slow, and don't let them fight (I find a water spray bottle works well for breaking up tiffs if they do happen).

I would definitely get them both spayed as advised by others on here.

I wouldn't separate them afterwards though, unless they are fighting? You mentioned they had a recent tiff - is this reoccuring?

Separating them will cause difficulties when trying to bond them again, plus they will recover much more quickly from the spay if they each other for comfort. But it sounds like they will need spaying sooner rather than later before the fighting becomes more persistant.

Good luck! x

6 months old is old enough to be spayed. This sounds hormonal to me. Separate them, spay them, keep them separate for about a month (cages close by so they can see each other but can't bite through the bars) while the hormones dissipate and they heal, then slowly reintroduce them by using bonding dates where they spend time together in a neutral territory. Take it slow, and don't let them fight (I find a water spray bottle works well for breaking up tiffs if they do happen).

Separation is out of the question as we quite simply don't have the room. The fights at the moment are more just angry chases, plus grunts, though there has been some fur loss but not much. There hasn't been blood. Yet.

They've done exactly the same today; Thumper humped Coco, Coco took offence and grunted and chased Thumper around the outdoor run for quite a bit.

I think my mind's made up - come Monday I think I'll be phoning the vet for an appointment, especially if the hump followed by a chase is repeated. Get them spayed before they properly fall out I think, then cross everything that peace and harmony is once again restored!

Update - booked in for neutering!

Well this arguing has been going on all over the weekend and after college today I went to the bunnies to fuss them and found a decent clump of fur blowing around the run :shock: No bald patches nor blood, but still. The arguing is worse than it was on Friday - Coco got really cheesed off and pinned Thumper down to hump her instead (poor Thumper's eyes were wide open and she was yelping like a puppy) :| Thumper let me grab her to throw her on my lap and I covered her so Coco couldn't get to her; Coco was really cross! They calmed down and then washed each other so their bond is still strong really.

Anyway, spoke to the vet and they recommended they get booked in as they are just about 6 months old.

Vibes therefore for Wednesday please! Eek!

Eek sounds like its definatly hormones getting the better of them. To be honest i think I would try and keep them seperate until Wednesday, even just split their current living accomodation in half if necessary, just temporarily to avoid any serious injuries :wave:

Back