• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

people with wooden hutches?

megansmummy

Mama Doe
The girls are in a two tier wooden hutch but I'm not sure what to put down on the floor? I stuff their bedroom bit with hay but do you use something on the floor throughout the hutch or do they just walk on the wood? I scattered handfuls of hay throughout but when I just checked they had eaten all the hay and were huddled together on the top floor just on the wood?

I meant to say this is the first time I had cleaned out the whole hutch since we got them and when I set it up I layered wood shavings throughout the whole hutch but I know wood shavings arnt ideal!!

Last edited:
Are they litter trained?

I just stuff my hutches full of hay, especially during the winter, if the buns use the litter tray. Otherwise, I put some megazorb down where they like to toilet.

My guinea pigs have lino all over the floor. In the living area theres fleece, then a littertray in the corner with hay and straw in the bedroom :wave:

I use a thick layer of newspaper and then hay in hutch and litter trays. I'm fortunate in that I can get plenty of newspapers from work. (The inside of the hutch is varnished, too).

I use wood pellet cat litter with hay in their litter trays, and a mixture of straw and more hay in their bedroom and outside it, which is upstairs. The litter trays, food bowls and water bowl are downstairs, I don't put anything on the floor down there, they just walk on the wood. It's a homemade hutch and the floor is made of smooth planks that fit together perfectly, rather than a whole piece. They do poo everywhere downstairs but pee in their trays without fail, so it's nice and dry. I just sweep it every day.

Ok next question...do you have a litter tray in the sleep area? I have one in the sleep area at the moment aswell as one downstairs. No they arnt litter trainned yet...they do go in the upstairs litter tray but also the other corner if the sleep area and a corner down stairs.

I have trays in various places for poos and wees or for sleeping areas. I use a variety of bedding type materials. Straw and shredded newspaper in the sleeping areas/trays , hay in the tray where Olive poos, wees and munches + wood pellet cat litter. Timmy must be the only rabbit who doesn't poo, wee and munch in the same place! He has hay in his munching tray and litter in his toilet tray. He then has straw or newspaper or a mixture in his bedroom. He hardly ever goes in there at all except in the depths of Winter or when he is trying to avoid being picked up.

I have lino stuck down at strategic points......litter tray areas...... but also have carpet squares everywhere else....the ones that carpet shops sell from the pattern books for about 50p. they're warm and bunny doesn't slip .
They brush up well and if they get soiled it's easy to throw them away and buy new:)

I used newspaper in Roxys hutch which worked well till she ripped it all up lol
In the hutch base in the shed I have lino down in it

Back