• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbits biting each others ears

annfry

New Kit
Hi
I have 2 baby mini lops now 10 weeks old, 1 male and 1 female. They seem to get on very well and groom one another as well as lying on top of each other. The male is much less dominant but until today i had no concerns. When i fed them today i noticed bits of fluff in their hutch and both of them have small bite marks in their ears. They live outside but come in most evening to exercise in the lounge. Tonight they behaved as usual and seem to be quite happy together. I have noticed in the last couple of days that the female keeps lying on top of the male especially on his head but he has a very docile manner and doesn't seem too upset by this.
worried now if i should seperate them, waiting to have him neutered, seeing vet this week to arrange a date,
Any advice woud be gratefully appreciated
Thanks
Ann

Sounds like your girl bunny is becoming sexually mature.They tend to "throw" themselves at the males and will nudge ,nip them etc.They also can spray pee on them.My late rabbit Cleo did all this to our older neutered male,he was just bemused.I'm not sure about seperating them.You should get both neutered it helps the females avoid uterine cancers etc.

:wave: I would get him neutered first - as he is probably old enough to be neutered in the next few weeks. As for her, she will need spaying at some point, and you may need to be prepared to keep separate, but still let them see and smell each other (perhaps through some wire mesh). I would only separate if they continue to fight with each other. Otherwise, take him along to the vets to see if he is ready to be neutered.

You definitely need to separate them, not least of all for the risk of baby bunnies (if they have been sexed correctly).

The ear wounds sound like they have been scrapping and if the girl is dominant she may not like the boy developing his hormones.

Far safer all round to split them up, and then rebond bond once both have been spayed/neutered and about 6-8 weeks after the operation to give the chance for the hormones to die down :)

Back