• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Starting from scratch, any advice appreciated.

WaggyTails

New Kit
Hi everyone! I'm new here!! :)) :wave:

Up until two years ago, i've always had bunnies. When my last passed away, i didn't get anymore, but I am going to be again as soon as my housing is set up. For the first time i am going to be getting a shed and converting it. I have a space that is in total 5.5' x 12', so im thinking of getting a 5' x 6' or 8' shed, and then attaching an aviary to the front for the remaining 4', with a catflap allowing access in or out... ( good idea??)

How does this sound to everyone?

I am Going to have hutches in the shed, and let the buns out every day, and put them in each night. I will also be having 2 boarding hutches as i am expanding my dog walking and pet visits business to now also include boarding. I will have a separate run area for boarders. ( would this be considered the best practice?)

Thats all for now! :))

Kelly

Hello and welcome! :wave:

Firstly, how many rabbits will be living in the shed?

Hutches in sheds take up a lot of space and a lot of people just have a hidey hole for them in the shed instead of a hutch.

Rabbits need at least 44 sq ft so a shed with attached aviary is good for a pair of rabbits then with a hutch in it as a bolt hole. Rabbits tend to be active dawn and dusk so giving them permanent access to this space is preferable to opening and shutting each day. :)

My rabbits' hutch is in the shed purely for extra fox-proofing and of course slightly warmer in winter. They have an outdoor run for daytime, weather permitting. If the weather's naff and they have to stay in their hutch, then periodically during the day either myself or my children will go to them and let them out so they can hop about in the shed. The rabbits can't be unsupervised in the shed as although nothing dangerous is in there, there are a few flower pots and I just have visions of them climbing in and getting stuck :shock: :lol:

Back