• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Statsis aftercare

mudchild

Warren Scout
hi all,
I tool my bunny to the emergency vets last nght (midnight) as he was displaying real signs of stasis and I didnt want to take any chances.
He was lying down everywhere he could, not eating, breathing extremly heavily.
Anyway he had the injections and today seems alot brighter although still not eating.
I have been giving him recovery but wondered how often I should be giving this to him?
Is there anything else I should be doing to help him?
he is definatley alot better but quiet still
Thanks for any advice!!
xx

I would try to tempt him with his favourite foods.Have you got any dandelions nearby?
You should try to keep him moving too as this will keep his gut moving.
Hope he feels better soon:D

:wave: Well done for getting him to the vets so promptly. :thumb:
I agree totally about persuading him to hop around as much as possible if he's up to it.
You have to continue with the critical care until he starts eating on his own.

Dandelions, & believe it or not, bunny safe tree leaves can be a first if you can get them. Some pet shops sell a mix of blackberry/strawberry/raspberry leaves. Apple, hawthorn, blackthorn (sloe), willow, & wild blackberry (bramble) are other good bets. Of the herbs dill, is a good bet too. Always try his favourite veg.
Sometimes waving it around under their nose annoys them into taking that 1st. nibble!

If he isn't picking up by midday, I'd want him to have some extra fluids under the skin, even if he isn't clinically dehydrated, & more pain relief. You can give pain relief by mouth.

What is your bunny's name? Is he moulting at present? Please keep us updated, & good luck.:wave:

I'd go with a heat pad near your bunny but not putting them on it, lukewarm boiled water in a syringe might be a better option than critical care initially, offer wet dill and dandelions and lots of hay. Monitor every hour and gently encourage movement then allow rest again, it's a balance as your bun might need rest aswell. If you have a dry patch of grass it might be worth putting your bun in a run for half an hour, sometimes the natural surface of grass encourages the bun to eat grass, stimulates the senses again. Try and remain relaxed and if needs be then yes critical care is syringed but I generally would like to see an xray done first to check for obstruction, it might be that your bunny will need IV fluids with electrolytes to restore fluids if they became very dehydrated, another good reason to offer wet dill (contains anti colic properties) and tepid boiled water in a bowl to drink. Best of luck.

Thanks so much for the advice!
He seems to have perked up a bit now, but def his not his normal self. I have to pop into work for a couple of hours as they dont seem to impressed that I have asked for time off for my bunny but im not staying long.
He seems to be nibbling his hay now so hoping thats a good sign.
Thumps- thanks-I just couldnt risk anything happening to him and I know him so well now I can tell when he isnt himself. I will try not to think about my bill ;) His name is Ozzy..he is moulting a little but his girlf Dotty is moulting like mad and he constanty grooms her and me !
Thanks so much for the advice..will update when back
xx

I suspected that there might be moulting going on.
If a buns gut is a bit slow the fur can get mixed in with the food & form a partial block. The body responds by pouring fluid from the blood stream into the gut to soften up the mass of fur & food so it can be pushed through. Most water is absorbed from the bottom end of the gut.
Also if the gut has stopped completely (no bowel sounds) the CC is slow to leave the stomach. This is why fluids under the skin are important until bunny starts eating.

A good vet can feel if there's a really hard ball causing a complete block. This is incredibly painful, the bunny may be very cold, & is certainly very ill indeed I don't think your bun has this.
XR needs a general anaesthetic. A blood glucose level can give a good idea of whether the bun has a complete block because it's much higher in this condition than in other causes of stasis. (Francis Harcourt Brown)
Ultrasound is better than XR because it doesn't need a GA & they can see how the bowel is moving as well as whether a block is present.
Personally I think that most of us don't do further tests unless the bunny is very ill.

Pain from anywhere slows the gut down in it's own right, which is why pain relief is so important.

Your bun is doing exactly the right thing by eating hay.:D The fiber in hay & woody leaves is the best natural gut stimulant.

Here's hoping that your bun has improved further when you get home.

If the partner bun is moulting heavily, try to get as much fur out as you can before it gets eaten. Some people use a fine comb called a furminator for this. I use a combination of "gentle plucking" between my index & mid finger & the fine tines of an ordinary comb on my own bun, ruffling up the fur with a good massage beforehand. Thumper's a vain rabbit & hates his coat in disarray. :lol:

Back