• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

do I need to split them up?

jojo1974

Young Bun
I have two brothers, they are mini lops and they are 13 weeks old this Thursday, I intend to get them neutered once old enough but have an issue now.
When we got them we had one first (Bugsy) then a few days later went back and got the other (Nibbles), when we put them back together Bugsy was trying to hump Nibbles, I was told not to worry about this so didn't, this stopped but now Nibbles is trying to hump Bugsy and is squashing Bugsy, he keeps running away and making a noise as he is annoyed (don't blame him) this is only happening when they are in their cage at night, I am just staring a large play area for them which they will be in all the time (they live indoors) with the cage to go in and out of as they please, trouble is my daughter and myself are going away for 10 days on the 21st and my son will be looking after them, (not as much as my daughter does as they are in her room) I am concerned that they may need separating in case this starts happening during the day whilst we are away, is there a chance this is the start of them fighting or is it something they will do until they have both been neutered?

Sorry I know this may be confusing to many. :(

:wave: Personally I would split them now before any damage is done. These cute little critters can do some serious, nasty damamge to each other.

My brothers lived happily together and were neutered as soon as their plums made an appearance. Despite this and after 2 1/2 years, they had a major fall out - luckily I heard them scrapping during the nights so was able to separate them. I took them to a bonding expert to be rebonded but that didn't work and one took a chunk of fur out of the other. You could clearly see the vein under the now exposed skin so had his nail penetrated a teeny bit more, well I don't want to think of the consequences :(.

Neutering solves a lot of problems and some males do go on to live happily ever after but bear in mind it's no guarantee that they will get along swimmingly again.

That is awful, I can't believe the breeder actually wanted me to take the two of them so that they could be company for each other, she never told me anything about them fighting other then if I didn't get them neutered they would fight, I do hope we are lucky and they are find together, the only problem at the mo isd the fact they hump each other lol

That is awful, I can't believe the breeder actually wanted me to take the two of them so that they could be company for each other, she never told me anything about them fighting other then if I didn't get them neutered they would fight, I do hope we are lucky and they are find together, the only problem at the mo isd the fact they hump each other lol

the odd hump from boys can be tolerated :oops: i brought my two boys home together at 8 weeks when there hormones started to develop they did hump each other occasionally until i had them done whe they were old enough they did hump after but very rare and they didnt fight, as long as no fighting occurs i would think they would be ok unless you can section their home off with mesh until you get back from hols to monitor and get them done (also take them vets to be done together this helps with recovery and bond my two only left each whilst being operated on they were put together straight after and cam home put in the house until healed if you are worried get them done asap and whilst you are away section but make sure they can still see each other and smell each other dont separate they will lose what tiny bit of bond that may still be there.

only my opinion though yes two buns are always best together for company so he was right but some just dont get on, i was lucky with my two unfortunately we lost one of ours last week and now have baby female bun to introduce to Toto all very new grounds again x

I do intend on getting them done together, they seem to be fine now they can stay out in their play area all the time, I have only just built it for them, this is their new home what do you think....

290920_2350169716709_1324098377_2845127_4385394_o.jpg

286041_2350167356650_1324098377_2845125_1717077_o.jpg

This is only the first layer I have added a second to it since, I still have to add the loft area and ramp and figure out how to do a door then it will be complete

Last edited:
Back