• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding a trio - new thread due to some differences

honeybunny11

Young Bun
I have an older (6 years) neutered female bun who was bereaved then bonded with a neutered young male (he's around 6 months).
I have a third bunny tilly who is a similar age to the boy and she is neutered too. She is living alone at the moment.

The two girls managed to get to each other once and had a big fight so I don't know if they will 'forget' their differences - they seem to hate each other on sight now :(
The little lad is very placid - its the two girls who are more dominant.

I understand that bonding a trio is difficult and the fact that it can have a knock on effect with the other bond but can anyone give me any tips please?
I am not sure who should be introduced first etc and space - BTW they have been everywhere in the house.:?

The fight was about a month - month and half ago I think.

Tilly is downstairs for now as she is recovering from her spay - this was done just over two weeks ago and I know that I might have to wait a bit for her hormones to calm down - was thinking ahead a bit! :)

They were in the same room - but she was quite nosy in their presence so wanted to make sure that she didn't jump around too much after the op.

I'd wait a few weeks like you said and let her recover and bond in a small space on neutral territory. They will want to fight when on eachothers territory. Teddy and Joey two of my bucks got to eachother a few months before I bonded them as a group of four and they hated eachother, the bond was very difficult but after 5 long weeks in the house and alot of stress on my part they did bond and now they are best buddies, literally inseperable!

I was in a similar situation to you recently, I had a bonded male/female pair and another dominant female, mine two ended in a big fight first time. Sadly my boy died and I have since bonded the two girls, who now seem very happy, so I guess they can 'forgive and forget' but I'm not sure how you would be best going about it except taking it very slowly in a completely neutralised place. It's worth remembering that a trio will take a lot longer to form a bond.

The bonding of my (hopefully soon to be ) trio will be taking place next week. I wish you every bit of luck with this. I dont know much about bonding but i will say prior prep is essential - so leaving it until her hormones have clamed down is a good idea. Lilly will have been done about 2.5 months before i will be attempting. xx

Thanks for all your advice - it is stressing me thinking that I might have one bunny by herself :(

Sorry for the amount of questions! :oops:

During bonding should the boy be kept separate and then put him in when they seem to be getting along?
If they have been everywhere - even the bath! Would it be better to disinfect an area or use the garden? What size should the bonding area be?

Once again thanks for everyone' advice and sorry for the numerous questions!!:D

If am I going to be waiting a while for the new big meet - should I move Tilly back into the same room as the other two or continue to keep her separate?

She is very hormonal :roll:and a few months might be closer to the mark.!

Hi LoopyLouie:wave:

Should they be in the same area in the months before bonding or keep them housed out of each others sight?

x
PS Sorry to everyone about being a worried bun mum with many questions - I am like this at the vets too :oops:

Last edited:
Hi Loopy:wave:

Should they be in the same area in the months before bonding or keep them housed out of each others sight?

x

I prefered the same area as they got used to each other but then bond elsewhere. It seemed ok for a while but with mine, all seemed well then all hell broke loose. One minute my girls would be grooming each other then they'd turn on each other, all over a man it seems :roll: so I'm probably not the best person to ask! :lol:

Last edited:
Ah no thanks! :)

I might move her back up with them later (they have their own central bedroom area in my house! :lol:)

I have a feeling that it will be a similar situation with my lot - he is a little cutie who I can imagine them fighting to have the attentions of!

I've kept mine totally separate because the smell of her seemed to drive them mad. TBH, they've got a bit better now and i've let them see each other now her hormones have died down and it seemed positive

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=304549

I think closer to the time, i will let them see more of each other but they are def housed in different areas.

As for the bonding area - this was most difficult for us as both lots of buns have used all over the place, so the place i've decided i'll do the bonding in, i've banned them from (and neutralised) until the bonding begins.

I've bought this to do the bonding in

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/ask?query=Small+Pet+Run+Jenny+-+6+Sided-+6+Element&num=20&form=search

Although i wouldnt recommend that company to buy from! :lol:

Thanks Grin!:)

1. Might wait for her hormones to calm down a bit - 2. then put back in the same area with them for a while - 3.then bond.

Thanks for bit about the area - mine are the same and have been everywhere! - he falls asleep with me on the bed :love: but will now start to think of one area where I will do the bonding and keep them out.

btw - Should he be kept in with the two girls during the bonding?

Thanks Grin!:)

1. Might wait for her hormones to calm down a bit - 2. then put back in the same area with them for a while - 3.then bond.

Thanks for bit about the area - mine are the same and have been everywhere! - he falls asleep with me on the bed :love: but will now start to think of one area where I will do the bonding and keep them out.

I think so - in a new/neutral area though. They need to appear settled for about 48 hours, then increase space gradually. After every scrap, wait 48 hours before increasing space again - at least that's how i understood it.

It's the "putting back into the outhouse" bit i worry about too!!

Yes, definitely, the dynamics will change again as soon as you add another bun so there's no point in doing it separately as you'll still end up in exactly the same situation when you add the third one.

I would recommend leaving it several weeks after her spay before trying them all together in small, neutral territory - and it really must be very, very neutral! For a trio you will probably need about a week to keep a close eye on them, as there are more relationships which need working out so it will probably take longer than a pairing to settle down.

Personally I would keep the single bun in a separate place for now, my experience is that the presence of other rabbits in one place makes them more angry rather than more settled; my feeling is that she might 'forget' about the fight a bit more easily if the other buns aren't within sight/smell. It's certainly not a hard and fast rule and others may take a different view, but I could keep her separate.

Good luck :)

Back