• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please!? - should I adopt a bunny with dental history?

sierra*323

Mama Doe
Hello,

I'm possibly going to take on a new bunny to keep mine company, however his current owner said this:

"I should tell you though that he has had a problem with one of his front teeth about 8 months ago. We think he managed to damage one of his front bottom teeth by knocking it on something and it came out we were then advised by the vet to have the opposing top tooth removed so as not to cause damage, which we did (at great expense) only for the one that fell out to grow back!! this has meant that there may well be times that he will need to be seen to have his bottom one clipped. Like I say it has been about 8 months and we havent had to do this as yet (he seems to keep it down by eating and chewing on the wood we put down. But thought you should know."

Should I be put off, or is this just something to keep an eye on? I don't want to take him on if I'm not confident I can provide the best care!

I called the vet that my rabbit is registered with, who have been great with her, and they said that if he doesn't need to be sedated, which they wouldn't expect him to, it will only cost £10-£15. Would it be hugely stressful for him?

Apologies for such a long and rambling post, could really do with some advice!

I think it depends on whether you can afford his dental care, if he does need it. If you can, go ahead! If not, I would reconsider.

They could get worse, it could turn into dental absesses, and other dental related issues.

It come run into hundreds of pounds.

And whilst im not trying to put you off, as he deserves a home, i want you to be aware.

if the vet has removed the tooth they should have removed the roots also, could you not get your vet to take a look at bun if owners have nothing to hide. Obv you have the bunnies best interests and you dont want to take on a rabbit if its going to be expensive however rabbit teeth problems can happen at any time so it is really up to you whether you want to take the risk and can afford it.
Perhaps talk to vet about removing the problem tooth properly if its possible so that if things do go wrong you know you could just get it removed.
My heart would say yes but then our angel costs around £100 a month for meds dentals etc I can do overtime so I know I can hav the money it depends on your situation.

Thanks for your quick replies, I'm still torn! My original intention was to adopt a friend for Finx from my nearest rspca centre, and I'm tempted not to take the risk with the dental bunny (who's name is Dannydog, I've discovered).

I'm assuming that the centre would do complete health checks on all rabbits before adoption and would be aware of any similar problems with them? If I'm going to be taking the same risk with an rspca bunny then I may re-home Dannydog, but if not, then I'm leaning towards the rspca centre, as I am aware that Dannydog does have a nice home while he's looking for a new one, whereas the bunnies at the rescue centre have not been so lucky! :(

Back