• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit not eating after her spay ~ She has pooed!!

ANNASBUNNIES

Warren Scout
Snowball was spay today. She has not eaten anything since she has been home. She has drunk and weed. How long does it normally take for them to eat?

My little boy was done last friday and he was eating and drinking straight after.

Please help.

Anna xx

Last edited:
In general I don't think it unusual for a bunny to not want to eat for quite a number of hours and some of ours have in the past taken a couple of days to be back to normal.

It does make a big difference what drugs your vet used to sedate before GA, and I think that using Ketamine does mean it takes a good while longer to be bright and 'normal' again.

I would keep her comfy, warm (bunnies that have had GA can't regulate their temperature properly for a while afterwards) but not too warm, make sure she's hydrated and offer her lots of things. I am sure she'll just fancy something a bit later.

If she were one of mine, and not eating by the morning I may consider syringing very watery recovery food and monitoring further. If you get particularly worried, I'd just ring the vet.

Hope she's back to normal soon.

Thank you. She is moving about and drinking. I will be up with all night so will be able to monitor her closely. I have kept her inside tonight.

I will see how she is in the morning then contact my vet.

Thanks again xx

Thank you. She is moving about and drinking. I will be up with all night so will be able to monitor her closely. I have kept her inside tonight.

I will see how she is in the morning then contact my vet.

Thanks again xx

Is she used to being indoors?

I used to bring mine in when they were being spayed but I have to say that the stress of being out of her own environment, may be counterproductive as it may also be a reason for them not to want to eat. It's a toss up to be honest, but these days I alway put the rabbits back in their own housing and just make them comfortable. Give more hay to make warm and snuggly and give access to whatever fresh foods will tempt.

You know your bunny best and I know lots of people do bring bunnies inside, but only recommended I think if she's not stressy normally in that situation.

She is normally outside.

But we do bring her in for a run around when it is raining and she cant go in her run, So its not completely new for her.

I did think that maybe it might be because she isnt in her normal environment.

I will probably put her back in her hutch tomorrow, like I did with my little boy.

xx

Matilda took 2 days to eat and a good 4 or 5 to be bk to 'normal'

once they get going they recover quite quickly!

spaying

It takes female bunnies longer to recover. It's a good sign that she's going to the peeing. Keep offering her her favorite treats, Keep the house quiet and her calm. I stayed with my bunny all night too when he was neutered, however the males recover quicker. Call your vet if you have questions or are worried, that's what they are for. Best wishes and good look, I'll be thinking of you to night.

When Finx was spayed she was exactly the same, as long as there's some sort of gut movement I wouldn't worry just monitor closely.

In Finx's case, she stopped using the toilet altogether, and had to go to the vets and be injected with fluids. When she came home I had various things to syringe into her mouth, which she hated, but she was soon well enough for me to stop before the meds ran out - then I just had to convince her that she couldn't just eat her favourite foods all the time!

Hi, She still hasnt eaten anything and no poos.

I have just moved her back to her hutch to see if that will help and will leave her to settle.

I think I might have to try to help feed her soon, I will just call the vets to see what they say.

Has she had some at home pain relief? It's a big op for girlies and she may still be in some pain.

Hi, She hasnt had any pain relief at home. My vet said it is normal for them not to eat for the first day. But to keep an eye on her and if she hasnt eaten anything by the end of today to give them another call.

She looks so sad bless her. I have tried her with some Rocket and Carrot crunchies but still not interested.

xx

Back