• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it right for my bunny to be biting the bars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liquorice

Mama Doe
She is spaye and is almost 1 year old and she is biting the bars of the cage so much some paint has come off the front bars. Is this normal behavior an if not how to stop it?

She is an indoor rabbit.

:wave:
Vicky xxx

No its not normal, she is bored and possibly lonely im afraid :(

How big is her cage and how long is she in it for? Does she have toys? :wave:

She could be bored or frustrated. Her cage should be 6x2with a 6x4 run attached as a minium. Does she any toys? And lots of hay?

Have you thought about getting her a rabbit friend? Imagine how bored you would be all day if you saw or spoke to no other humans

I would discourage this behaviour by allowing free time out of the cage -this really isnt good to you. You need to reassess how and why she is doing it. Is there enough space, is there enough stimulation, is she getting enough attention (a friend helps). I fear she's showing signs of something not being quite right.

I hope you can sort the problem soon. x

No it's not. :( As I said in your other thread, Liqourice would most likely benefit from a friend, she sounds lonely. :( How big is her cage, is it used as a base or is it where she lives?

I told my mum to get hewr a rabbit friend but no her cage is an inside 1 metre long one with a ledge at top and I would love to get her a friend but my mum doesn't :(

Please guys, remember the OP says she is only 10 years old. The cage may be too small but it is difficult when you live at home and have to follow your parents rules.

Please make your posts constructive and helpful. thank you.

Do you think you'd be able to buy a pen like this? (If you or your mum looked around on the internet you may be able to buy it cheaper this is just the first one that I found)
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/runs_fencing/pens_with_racks/95235

If you could get one, you could attach it to your cage, and she could have the cage and the pen as her base? Then maybe you could also let her out of the pen for an hour or two each night so she could run around in one room, this would also help her get used to you and become more friendly :)

Do you think you'd be able to buy a pen like this? (If you or your mum looked around on the internet you may be able to buy it cheaper this is just the first one that I found)
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/runs_fencing/pens_with_racks/95235

If you could get one, you could attach it to your cage, and she could have the cage and the pen as her base? Then maybe you could also let her out of the pen for an hour or two each night so she could run around in one room, this would also help her get used to you and become more friendly :)

My dad put a thumbs up cause he on phone so maybye

:wave: It's raelly hard when ur young and you have to abide by ur parents rules, if the option of a another rabbit isn't available at the moment, maybe the options of extending her living area would be with lots of free play could be??

Have u thought about a dog crate istead of the cage u have? With some play pen attatched around it?? Obviously It's going to cost a little to get this but could this be an option for u??

:wave: It's raelly hard when ur young and you have to abide by ur parents rules, if the option of a another rabbit isn't available at the moment, maybe the options of extending her living area would be with lots of free play could be??

Have u thought about a dog crate istead of the cage u have? With some play pen attatched around it?? Obviously It's going to cost a little to get this but could this be an option for u??

Ok we will defiently get a playpen then start thinking about a friend

My dad put a thumbs up cause he on phone so maybye

That sounds good :) I can have a look for you if you like and try and find some good sized ones? Also, could you (if you haven't already) get her some toys? Pet shops sell toys but sometimes they are quite expensive. Rabbits also like things like cardboard boxes (but make sure there's no tape or anything on it which they might eat) there's lots of toys you can make too :)

Great post and some fab ideas!

That sounds good :) I can have a look for you if you like and try and find some good sized ones? Also, could you (if you haven't already) get her some toys? Pet shops sell toys but sometimes they are quite expensive. Rabbits also like things like cardboard boxes (but make sure there's no tape or anything on it which they might eat) there's lots of toys you can make too :)

Is there any links you can give me to making rabbit toys :)

I'm not very good with links and things but a empty toilet roll stuffed with hay and one treat right in the middle to make them work for their food is always a great hit with my bunnies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back