• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weight Gain?

lilgems91

Mama Doe
My half lion head weighs roughly 1.6 kg's, and according to my vet yesterday, he could do with putting on some more weight.

He has few pellets in a morning, full access to hay and grass, and the occasional treat.

Can anybody give me some advice on I can feed him that will put weight on safely?

Thanks

Please gradually increase his pellets - a few more in the morning then perhaps a few in the evening.
Keep adding a few more pellets to the bowl in this way every day. Weigh your bun in a couple of weeks time to see if he has got his weight up. If he is not at the required weight continue adding pellets and weigh him again in another couple of weeks.. If he has reached it then keep to that amount of pellets.

Did the vet say what weight he would like your bun to get up to?.. If he didn't, I would just keep gradually adding more pellets until your bun feels/looks rounder or leaves pellets in the dish (some do),.

I do hope you're not doing the "eggcupful rule"? ( see my previous threads) All rabbits are different and need different amounts of food.

sue:wave:

Hi, thank you for your reply.

Im currently switching his pellets from excel to selective science, but the only trouble is the vet tells me to only give him 8 pellets a day as he refuses to eat his hay if he has more than a small handful of pellets, and he is a dental bun :(

At the start of the year he was having an egg cup full a day, but due to not eatin hay I was told to only give him a very small amount (7/8 a day) or none at all! He loves his pellets and wouldnt cut them out of his diet, but just wondering if you know of any other food apart from the pellets, as he relies on the hay for his teeth.

Would your bun eat thin twigs or chew on other similar things for his teeth?

I'm surprised your vet has said to limit his pellets to 7 or 8 a day when he has told you your bun is underweight. However - I am not a vet- but in your position I would be looking for a second opinion-perhaps theres another vet at the same surgery who would give you advice?

I have heard of people giving porridge with warm water and honey to feed buns up, though never done it myself. Also carrot has a slightly fattening content they say and would probably be good for his teeth.

Does he eat any hay? Have you tried anything other than reducing pellets to try to increase hay intake? Different hays for examples, or giving it in a different way? Which teeth does he have problems with? Front or back?

Things like fruit and oats will help. Did your vet not suggest anything? If he's eating hay increasing the pellets a little shouldn't hurt.

Would your bun eat thin twigs or chew on other similar things for his teeth?

I'm surprised your vet has said to limit his pellets to 7 or 8 a day when he has told you your bun is underweight. However - I am not a vet- but in your position I would be looking for a second opinion-perhaps theres another vet at the same surgery who would give you advice?

I have heard of people giving porridge with warm water and honey to feed buns up, though never done it myself. Also carrot has a slightly fattening content they say and would probably be good for his teeth.

When I went to the vets a few days ago I mentioned about getting wood and forage things for him to chew on to help keep him teeth down, and the vet told me that it will only keep him front teeth down :(

I know, I kinda get the feeling the vet isnt too keen on rabbits, Im going to try another vet from there Ive seen once before, she used to breed them so hopefully she will know more about them.

Yes, he had a piece of carrot last night, and he loves his fruit. I have been giving him fruit lately but unfortunately it hasnt helped him gain weight :(

Does he eat any hay? Have you tried anything other than reducing pellets to try to increase hay intake? Different hays for examples, or giving it in a different way? Which teeth does he have problems with? Front or back?

Things like fruit and oats will help. Did your vet not suggest anything? If he's eating hay increasing the pellets a little shouldn't hurt.

Trying to get little man to eat hay has been an ongoing battle, but finally he is getting a lot better and eats more than he used to, but still probably not enough to get his teeth down without spikes. My vet recommended west wales willow hay and he will happily tuck into that, but wont really touch anything else except the hay experts oat wheat and barley mix. He hs tried bayles for farmers, meadow hay, different types of timothy hay, chamomile hay, herbal hay..nothing works, except this expensive stuff!

He has problems with his back teeth, dental work was done a few months back but every time I take him to the vets they have a look and say there is still bad spikes there, which is heartbreaking because we are both working so hard on the hay/teeth thing :(

My vet actually told me to go cold turkey on him- do not feed him pellets and he will eventually get hungry and eat his hay, so instead of cutting them out alltogether I just cut them down, and promised him I would gradually increase again if he started munching on the hay. He was given a few more yesterday because of an increased hay intake.

Last time I went to the vets I was told he didnt need pellets or greens, and that he could live a long happy life on just hay and grass. I dont know if this is true but he loves his pellets, and as I was aware gave him the nutrients he needs!

I have oats at home now, would they need to be warmed and wetted before feeding to him? He loves them :)

Oats need to be made into porridge. :)

There is a member on here who only feeds hay. Her rabbit Twinkle can't tolerate anything else and is thriving on thie diet.

Oats need to be made into porridge. :)

There is a member on here who only feeds hay. Her rabbit Twinkle can't tolerate anything else and is thriving on thie diet.

Ok silly question, but how do you make oats into porridge? Im not a lover of porridge and have never had to do it!

Can a small amount be fed daily or is it a once a week treat thing?

See thats the thing, ben can tolerate so much it seems a shame to only give him hay :( Especially as his hay intake is getting better slowly!

** IM NO VET SO DONT TAKE THIS AS GOSPEL **

I give a few dried porridge oats without making them up to Ginger to help her gain weight, however, check with your vet that he is happy for you to do this BEFORE you do so.

Ok silly question, but how do you make oats into porridge? Im not a lover of porridge and have never had to do it!

Can a small amount be fed daily or is it a once a week treat thing?

See thats the thing, ben can tolerate so much it seems a shame to only give him hay :( Especially as his hay intake is getting better slowly!

You're thinking of yourself there, not of Ben (i'm not saying your selfish etc, just a remark).

You want to give him things, not he wants to have them.

:wave:

He loves him treats such as strawberrys and fruit and readigrass, and it would seem mean to not give them to him when he can tolerate them and goes wild for them.

Back