• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Suggestions? Help!

cmfarinsky

New Kit
Hi All,
I originally had a wonderful mini lionhead (6 months old) and then after some thought decided to bond her, to another female rabbit. The new rabbit is a mini lop, who was about 10 weeks when we got her (early April). Well the bonding went great and they were really close, lived/ate/slept/groomed together, couldn't have been happier. That is until sadly our lionhead got attacked by a raccoon :( Our mini lop became "sad" and it was suggested that I re-bond her since she was use to having a mate. So mid-late June I got a mini rex and started re-bonding her. The mini rex was supposedly a she and turned out being a he (even our vet miss-sexed him). I actually didn't find out till we went to her pre-spay check-up, and found out she was a he.
Well, here's the questions/problem now, they've been living together for the past month (June 21st till today, July 20th). I have them separated, but what is the likelihood our mini lop is pregnant? and if she is, would she have been pregnant from the first day, or later? The bonding only took a couple days, and they've been living together since. And if you're wondering about humping, yes it happens, but it use to happen before when we had two girls and I was told it's normal, even for girl/girl. I just seperated them, but she seems kinda lathargic and I'm worried she will have problems because she was seperated from her mate. Is it stressful to be away, and if so will that harm the possible baby(ies). Has anyone had anything similar, or do you have any suggestions/help. Oh, and lastly, if she is pregnant, and the baby(ies) survive, what will they look like? Thanks!!! ok so, here are the facts-
Mini Lop was born late January, so is almost 6 months now, so was about 5 months when she was re-bonded to MALE mini rex
Mini Rex was born early April, so is about 4 months now, so was roughly 3 months when he was bonded to Female mini lop
They've been successfully bonded and caged together (within a large bunny hutch and run) from June 22nd or so till July 19th (28 days)

You need to count 35 days from the day you separated them, and then if you get past that point, then you can consider her safe.

Remember that boys are fertile for up to six weeks after a neuter. Is getting her spayed and him neutered and rebonding something you are looking at for the future?

Back