• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunnies heading for 'op'

Reward

New Kit
Hi my 2 6mth old female bunnies are heading for their op tomorrow and im feeling pretty darn nervous/guilty.

They live together in a 2 level hutch, i assume i should just keep them to one level? how long for?

do i give them sawdust or not? what about litter? bit worried about room with them just being on one level.

any thoughts greatly appreciated :)

Aww bless, it is always a concern but if you have chosen a rabbit savvy vet then I am sure they will be in excellent care!

When they come home they will need to be kept inside for at least a few days on a bed of either soft blankets or hay alone, kept at one level as the op for females is a much bigger op thsn for males they will take a bit longer to heal and may well need post op pain relief.
Also try and keep yourself as calm and normal as possible as tgey will pick up on your stress.
You need to make sure they keep eating and pooping so you would pick up on any GI slowdowns.

Sawdust is generally not good for rabbits in general because it releases an airbourne substance when weed on and which can irritate their respiratory systems.

As rachylou says, rabbits that have just had a GA need to be indoors for a day or two as they can't regulate their temperature. Do you have a pen or dog crate you can use? Then towels or blankets are good so as not to irritate the wound. And hay needs to be available to them for eating.

thanks for your help, we have them back now, they barely moved last night, literally get up turn around and sit back down.

got up in the night but they were just sleepy, managed to get them to have a bit of water but they arent eating, maybe a tiny bit of straw, no poo's seem to have a big wet patch (i've changed all the newspaper)

we have a check up again tonight but i have to go to work so bit/ lot worry about leaving them.

does this all sound normal?

Rabbits not eating after a general anesthetic is always a concern as if their GI track slows down too much it can head them in to a dangerous state called statis which if not caught early can be fatal.
If they are not eating now it is classed as an emergency and they need to be seen by the vet NOW, they will most likely need to be given sub Q fluids, metaclopramide and pain relief.

Back