• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mammary tumours in spayed doe?

Mackers

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone experienced mammary tumours in a spayed doe? Flora was spayed when she was less than a year old and is now 8. She doesn't like being handled so I handle her as little as possible, doing visual bum checks etc as she hops away from me. However, I picked her up today to clip her claws and she has numerous lumps (mammary tumours?) on almost every nipple. There's no discharge from the nipples, just a hard mass.

Her last vet MOT was in May and they weren't there then. Flora has continued to 'nest' every so often (perhaps once or twice a year), despite being spayed. Only a couple of months ago, she built the most enormous nest :shock:.

I shall book her into the vets next week and take it from there but just wondered if anyone had any experience of this in a spayed doe?

Is it possible that they are not tumours, but are an extended stage of a phantom pregnancy?

I have two bunnies who, after building nests and destroying them, would then effectively 'lactate' although they wouldn't lactate externally, just their nipples would swell as a nursing mum's would, and then after a couple of days they would return to normal, once all the hormones settled.

:? mmmm - I guess it could but it was at least a couple of months ago that she nested. Surely any signs of lactating would have subsided by now?? Whatever happens, I'm taking her to the vet next week but I'm really worried. If anything happened to Flora I think her brother, Parsnip, would just give up:cry:.

I just saw your reply on AMS's thread, but didn't want to hijack, but i'm glad it's looking positive for her and that it's not cancer :)

I just saw your reply on AMS's thread, but didn't want to hijack, but i'm glad it's looking positive for her and that it's not cancer :)

Thank you :D. I was hugely relived when Simon said he was pretty sure it was just the hormonal response you'd expect to see in an un-spayed doe. Although I am a bit concerned that she could have some uterine material floating around inside :shock:.

Yes, can imagine that might be a bit disconcerting, but better than the alternatives. Hopefully, if anything is there, it's teeny weeny and irrelevant other than the phantom pregnancies.

Back