• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Larry & Herman - Bonding Update - More Advice Needed

Ambski

Young Bun
Hi Guys. :wave: Just wanted to give you all a little update on the bonding & I would also like some more advise please.

Bonding (keeps fingers crossed) has all gone well so far. After 72 hours of supervised bonding in the small pen on neutral territory in my room I made the decision on Tuesday morning to move Larry & Herman (L&H) to what will be their permanent home in the kitchen (Larry's old territory) which i had thoroughly cleaned with vinegar the day before, plus i had re-arranged her cage & added a brand new rug / litter tray's etc... All of this seemed to do the trick. I let them both out into the room at the same time, and Herman the new rescue rabbit even did a little binky (not a 360 but a little shake & lift into the air. Larry went around the room exploring it like she'd never been there before - so i think the vinegar must have definitely worked. I then left them to it for a couple of hours - with no interference from me. I had a peek at them after about an hour & they were laying flat out (legs in front & behind stretched right out) side by side (big relief on my part).

I supervised them all day & night in their new home - to check there would be no territorial issues & all seems to be fine. So i think the bonding has gone well - still no grooming that i have seen although it is possible. I have caught them a number of times now in the kitchen laying stretched out side by side.

Now here's where i need some advise please
• The only time there now seems to be any slight aggression / nipping is when I enter the kitchen / equation. I think the problem being that I have obviously had a year to bond with Larry so when i come in she comes up to me for strokes & treats & circles me excitedly - wanting ( i like to think attention - but in reality most probably herbs / veg from the fridge).

On the other hand little Herman is still quite scared of his surroundings & me at the moment. I can put my hand out & he'll come over & sniff it but if i go to give him a head rub, he'll run off to the safety of the cage. I am not pushing it further than this with him at the moment as obviously after 7 months in rescue & a long car journey & a new friend the poor little thing has had a lot to cope with in the last few days. And i would rather have their bond secured before I try too much with him & potentially ruin it.

Now I'm not sure what I should do, shall i carry on & pet Larry as i usually would when i see them thus showing Herman I am no threat & nothing to be scared of. Or if I continue to pet larry & not Herman will he get jealous?
I don't want him to feel left out. But i feel so horrible ignoring little Larry.
While stroking Larry at the moment I always hold a hand out to Herman fro him to come but he rarely will. Is there anything else i can do?

The first time i went into the kitchen to sit with them, when larry came over & I stroked her, after a minute or two herman came over to investigate (very cautiously) & Larry sort of turned round to him as if to say back off & chased him away (not aggresivley). Is this her warning him off me - saying that I am her's??? if so - how can i stop this?

Also - I have noticed when i feed them that Larry is such a greedy little thing. She scoffs her food up much quicker then Herman - and then when she's finished hers - she will come over & start to steal his food (which he is actually putting up with at the moment). But obviously if this carries on I am
going to end up with one fat rabbit & one poor little skinny one.
Do you think Herman will learn & start being a bit quicker with his eating?
If not how do you think i should go about solving this issue?

Any advice / opinions on the above would be hugely appreciated.
Thanks for reading guys
Amber x

Back