• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hay causing excess cecals?!

beckie20

Mama Doe
Is this at all possible?!

I've been using Pure Pastures hay since before Christmas with no problems, and found somewhere that was selling it for £2.60, which is the cheapest I have ever seen it, so I brought 4 bags. Since I've been feeding the hay from these bags - and it's their main hay which they have lots of every day - they've had excess cecals :?

The hay looks and smells the same to me, and given the way they're chowing down on it as soon as I put it in, I assume it tastes as good as normal.

My first thoughts was it must be something in the garden, but there's nothing new in the garden, and I even put them on hutch lockdown for a couple of days (which made me ever so popular :roll:) but there are still excess cecals.

I've more than halved their pellets, which are Bunny Basics T, and the only greens they're getting now is grass for a couple of hours a day, a handful-ish of fresh flat-leaf parsley, and a small handful of dried plantain.

This is driving me crazy :evil: My two are bombproof - they don't get ill!!

This happens to my two as well. I have had them to the vets more than once about it and the vet gives them a clean bill of health and says that sometimes they just produce more than they can eat and then they leave them. She made me feel like I was being neurotic! I am the same reduced their pellets, I cut out their greens and just give them herbs and weeds and they have so much hay. but still daily I get excess cecals. So I haven't any advice for you really, but just to say you aren't alone.

I could understand if it was a different brand, and I know that every bag of hay is different because it's a natural product, but it just doesn't seem right :?

I recall that Santa said her bun, Mavis, gets excess cecals from eating a certain type of hay so it's not completely crazy to think it could be the hay ...... it seems odd that it's only caused a problem with the last few bags but maybe something has changed in the 'production process' recently.

Is it both bunnies or just one?

I would try cutting out all extras and just feed hay plus a small amount of pellets for a few days. If they still have excess cecals, then I would try a different type of hay and see if that helps.

I recall that Santa said her bun, Mavis, gets excess cecals from eating a certain type of hay so it's not completely crazy to think it could be the hay ...... it seems odd that it's only caused a problem with the last few bags but maybe something has changed in the 'production process' recently.

Is it both bunnies or just one?

I would try cutting out all extras and just feed hay plus a small amount of pellets for a few days. If they still have excess cecals, then I would try a different type of hay and see if that helps.

Interesting, thanks. I've just ordered some more Pure Pastures from the Hay Experts, where I usually get it from, to see if that makes a difference... perhaps there's a reason why they are able to sell it so cheap :?

I've no idea who it is either. Some days, there are quite a few so I would think it's both of them, but most days, there's just one, but as to who it is, I've no clue!!

Back