• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny is holding his tail unusually high...

AnnieElms

Mama Doe
Bunny has been having some issues this weekend, and has not been eating properly, or pooing. He has had stasis in the past, but this time it just seems different as before he would not eat a thing, but this time he seems willing to eat but is being very picky. He just came out for a short runa round, and I noticed his tail is very high when he is moving about. It's a bit like when he does a wee, but all the time.

Any ideas what this could be?

May be he's straining to poo.
When my bun had stasis and he was "constipated" I noticed his tail was high, as you say as they are for wees.
What's he on to get him poo-ing? Has he had any painkillers? Has he drunk lots today? Maybe super wet his greens? It's been really humid by me tonight, hope it has a good old rain over night to cool it off as I had two hot,knackered and flopped out rabbits in the garden today!!!! :love:

Ok, a couple of wayward poos were just hanging off his fur, but they were not matted in or anything. I removed them. I did notice last night what I thought was a stuck poo, and could not remove it. I showed the vet this morning and she said it was a secretion from a scent gland and lots of bunnies have it and it's nothing to worry about. I'm assuming it's not that :?

Perhaps it is him feeling constipated as Hannah says?

How much water is he drinking? Just with it being warm.
Maybe wet his evening greens (if he's still up!!!)
Keep an eye on what he's eating and be sure to get plenty of hay into him.
How old is he?
Let us know how you're getting on x

How much water is he drinking? Just with it being warm.
Maybe wet his evening greens (if he's still up!!!)
Keep an eye on what he's eating and be sure to get plenty of hay into him.
How old is he?
Let us know how you're getting on x

I am syringe feeding him water (due to his stasis), and he is drinking on his own,as well. He also had sub cutaneous fluids this morning at the vets. He is 3. He's got a nice pile of hay to eat, but he is never really a good hay eater at the best of times (I try to improve it, he's better than he was but not as good as I'd like).

Thanks for your advice. I will keep an eye on him and update :)

I think we have made progress today. Bunny has been a bit more 'bunny'. He's been out and about a bit more, and has made his way to his favourite spot on the dining room chairs. He has tried a few more different things to eat today as well. We still have two more days of meds, and he isn't quite right, but we are moving in the right direction now.

He has been extra loving whilst Ill :love:. He is usually quite a licky bunny, but these past few days he will lick me whenever I go near him :love:

Aww, that's really kind of you to think of him again, bless you. Bun is a bit better again. He's eaten some of his pellets today :love: I'm still not seeing the poos I would like, but he is definitely better than yesterday.

Back