• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding

fleaby

New Kit
Hi,after some advice please
I came home yesterday with an 8 week old baby rabbit for company for my other rabbit,they are both girls with a nice nature,but the older rabbit chases her and nips her,is this normal

Hi,after some advice please
I came home yesterday with an 8 week old baby rabbit for company for my other rabbit,they are both girls with a nice nature,but the older rabbit chases her and nips her,is this normal

Is the older rabbit spayed? I wouldn't recommend bonding until both are spayed. :wave:

Why is it best to have them spayed:wave:

Spaying removes the hormones so they are unlikely to fight and become territorial. Also, 80% of unspayed does over the age of two will develop uterine cancer. :cry:

Here's some links...

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=51537

Why Spay?

Female rabbits (does) often exhibit territorial behaviours that can sometimes be linked to their hormones. Also some does will exhibit sexual behaviours such as spraying, biting, mounting. They can also suffer false(phantom) pregnancies which mean they will build nests, pluck their fur out etc and can cause a lot of stress and aggression. These behaviours can sometimes be prevented or can disappear after your doe is spayed.
Also there is a risk of urterine cancer, ovarian cancer and mammary cancers in does. This can kill rabbits and is fairly undetectable before the rabbit dies.
Rabbits enjoy company and by spaying your doe it may make bonding with another rabbit easier and will also prevent any unwanted pregnancies.

I've found it hard enough bonding two does that are spayed, I should think with two unspayed does it would be virtually impossible unless they were both young.

Back