• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Summer Heat

house-kun

Young Bun
My rabbit is Netherland Dwarf and he lives inside my apartment together with me. While I'm out he stays in a small-ish cage to prevent him from going on the rampage. He has toilet, hay, a chewable house and a bowl of water which I change twice daily.

The problem is that we've hit summer, and where I live it gets really hot. The hottest it's been in the apartment this year so far is 34 degrees centigrade. I've taken the following steps to keep rabbit cool:

1) The cage is in the coolest part of the apartment.
2) No direct sunlight.
3) Closed curtains.
4) I've a fan which sweeps air past his cage.

When I look at him, he seems hot (he lays flat on his side), but not in distress. His breathing isn't laboured and his nose is not wet. He's still lively and he gets up to greet me when I move to his cage.

However, my concern is for when I am out - I can't keep my eye on him then. How else should I keep him cool?

A marble tile put in the fridge overnight or a 2l drinks bottle filled with water and frozen will help - they lie next to them to keep cool.

My rabbits flop out in this heat, and they breathe fairly fast. Unfortantly, there's not much you can do other than what you are doing. Mine are outdoor rabbits so I just make sure that they have plenty of shade and when its hot like today, I don't give them any sunshine, so it stays as cool as possible.

We put a blueberry in each section of an ice cube tray. fill the tray with water and freeze them, then we put them in a bowl of water so it cools the water down, and the blueberries encourage him to suck on the ice cubes and drink :)

We also freeze bottles of water for him to lie next to.

I find having my bunny free range actually helps because then he can search around and find a place he can be that a cage might not necessarily fit but which might be very cool :)

Back