• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacam help...dog/cat metacam dose?

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
I'm currently looking after a bun with a UTI for a friend. She weighs about 2.5kg. The vet has said to give 0.25mls of cat metacam per day. This sounds like a very low dose to me, but I've never used cat metcam so I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

eric was precsribed 0.2 when he weighed about 1.6kg.

recently though, edgar pig who weighs about 1.3kg was prescribed a much higher dosage than that (by a different vet) but i queried it as i wasn't comfortable with the amount.

dont know about volumes, but Barney was on 3-4 drops of Dog metacam twice a day and he only weighs about 1.5 kg. This was prescibed by FHB after his eye op.

I'm currently looking after a bun with a UTI for a friend. She weighs about 2.5kg. The vet has said to give 0.25mls of cat metacam per day. This sounds like a very low dose to me, but I've never used cat metcam so I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

What value is the cat metacam in terms of mg/ml?

the cat metacam i have is 0.5mg/ml - not sure if they do different strengths though:?

If thats the case, from what everyone has told me 0.25ml is barely anything and wouldnt scratch the surface for an RTI imo - Ginger is on 0.6ml/day and is 1.65Kg of dog metacam which is 1.5mg/ml?

It does seem like a low dose. Sooty has 0.6mls of cat metacam when his mouth is a bit sore and he weighs about 1.7kg. My vet said rabbits can handle high doses quite well and if ever I felt I needed to up the dose short term, he'd be fine.

If thats the case, from what everyone has told me 0.25ml is barely anything and wouldnt scratch the surface for an RTI imo - Ginger is on 0.6ml/day and is 1.65Kg of dog metacam which is 1.5mg/ml?

Yeah, that's my thoughts too. My maths isn't great, and I'm not sure if urinary tract infections only need a low dose or something, so I think I'll check with my vet :?

Yeah, that's my thoughts too. My maths isn't great, and I'm not sure if urinary tract infections only need a low dose or something, so I think I'll check with my vet :?

maybe its to be given for longer so the dose is lower to try to cut down on side effects?

the 0.2 per day is what i can give eric for up to a week if he doesn't pick up too well after a dental. sometimes thats not quite enough to last him 24hours at first though.

i suppose every vet recommends different due to their own experiences:)

Current recommendations (which are still and underestimate) are 0.3-0.6mg per kg.Using the dog metacam (1.5mg/ml) just means smaller doses are needed and it probably works out cheaper too. Generally it's advised to split the dose and give it 12 hourly.
If in doubt do what you're doing -ie check with your vet!!!

Good luck !!! xxx

I would hesitate to increase it without having a chat with the vet. Often lower doses are used for cystitis (it can affect the protective mucus lining of the bladder) or if there is any suspicion of kidney problems so this may be a well thought-out treatment.

yeah its would be totally different for a long term treatment, as i said above mine was post op and he came off it after 2 weeks (he was sorry to say!)

Rhia was on 4 ml dog metacam a day with her ear at first. I didn't trust the vet as that dose is huge, but I literally went off how Rhia was & it turned out that she did need that kind of dose to stop her constantly attacking the ear. I'd go off how the bun is in him/herself & if you feel she needs more, give the vet a call and increase :) XX

Back