• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

abcess on stomach

raverbabs

New Kit
hey guys need some advice please i have a rabbit who i took to the rspca today as he has a huge abcess on his tummy from were he was neuted 4 mths ago so abcess near that area now today they said they cannot do anything for him casue of were it is but i not so sure as they didnt even try to do anything for him has anyone seen this b4 i rescued the bunny am so gutted and very upset jsut want them to help x

It really depends on the extent of the abscess. Is it contained or an open wound. Is the rabbit in your care? You could get a second opinion and perhaps give antibiotics a try and see whether they make a difference. Ideally you'd culture the discharge to see which antibiotic would be most effective.

The RSPCA have limits as to how far they will go re treatments. They are a charity and are not able to offer all treatments which may be available from a private Vet. For example the RSPCA Hospital near me will not treat Dental problems, they only PTS

If the Rabbit is still in your care I would suggest seeking the opinion of a Private Vet if there is any way you could be able to fund it.

I wish the RSPCA were willing (able??) to do more for Rabbits, but local to me that certainly does not happen :cry:

Some Private Vets may agree to a payment plan, whereby you set up a written agreement to make a weekly/monthly payment toward ongoing treatment.
Single independent Vets, as opposed to those connected to a large group of Practices are often more flexible in their approach to this.

Without knowing the extent of the infection it is impossible to say if treatment is an option.

Sorry to hearabout your buns abscess..
As Jane has said you would be better seeking the advice of your own vet to see if surgery is an option. Unfortunatley antibiotics very rarely have any effect on abscesses and Surgery often is the only way, maybe followed by a/b or penicillin to curb any further infections
Hope you get sorted

Is the abscess on the incision area? I had this happen with a rabbit. The pus from the abscess leaked out through the incision when you put a warm wet cloth on it. This isn't possible with him is it?

Also, please make sure whatever vet you take him to you are sure they are experienced with rabbits, mine died when idiots squeezed the abscess :cry: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=250308 So maybe its best the RSPCA refuse to do anything for rabbits, they may know they're not experienced with rabbits.

unfortunalty i cant afford to take him to a normal vets i did ring a few up askin them could i pay on a payment plan but none would let me. i have got to go bak to the pdsa tomorrow to see what they say i just hope they do somehtin and not say the same thing to me as he is eating drinkin playin looks healthy apart from this so got everythin crossed xx

not tried them i muxt of phoned at least 6 though maybe more all said the same thing casue we are private vest we dont do that sort of thing i did go mad on a couple as i am so frustrated casue if a human had an abscess in a not so gd area would they jsut leave it and say saorry nothing we can do i doubt it :cry:

not tried them i muxt of phoned at least 6 though maybe more all said the same thing casue we are private vest we dont do that sort of thing i did go mad on a couple as i am so frustrated casue if a human had an abscess in a not so gd area would they jsut leave it and say saorry nothing we can do i doubt it :cry:

i would try ashleigh vets. they have always been ok with me when i've needed to pay later on. but i don't know if that was after we had been for a while, i can't remember. maybe ask to speak to one of the vets instead and explain the situation. usually the receptionists just say no :roll: but maybe if you explained to the vet and say how no-one else is willing to help etc. worth a try. i hope you manage to sort something out. :wave:

i have had all my rabbits at different vets and out of all of them id reccomend
charter vets
they have branches all over the place and have always allowed me to ring for information.
i have been to some bad ones id rather steer clear of too:shock:

i have had all my rabbits at different vets and out of all of them id reccomend
charter vets
they have branches all over the place and have always allowed me to ring for information.
i have been to some bad ones id rather steer clear of too:shock:

if you mean you'd steer clear of the willows - you didn't mention it in your post, but following on from a conversation you had with me i assume they are the vets you mean - apart from not sending jay home with metacam (which i did a poll on and found that many vets don't send them home with anyway http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=273764&highlight=metacam) they didn't do anything untoward that would make me doubt them.

i think they are fantastic. i requested to buy metacam for snowball to take home and they gave it to me no problems.
they have been recommended by many people on the forum and have always been great with snowball. and today they were great with bubbles as well :)

Did you go to the warrington rspca? Who did you see? Unless you signed the rabbit over to them they wouldnt help they arent like the pdsa and I know the warrington branch is really strapped for cash

It might be worth calling them and asking either Chris or Les if they recommend anywhere that will help with a payment plan

no i went to the rspca hospital in manchester i may give the warringotn vets a call int he morning as i have appiontment at pdsa tomorrow also jsut makes me so mad that my hands seem to be tied

no i went to the rspca hospital in manchester i may give the warringotn vets a call int he morning as i have appiontment at pdsa tomorrow also jsut makes me so mad that my hands seem to be tied

Ok well try Warringto rspca too good luck

if i take him rspca in warrington do i have to hand him over as i wanted to keep him as i have grown rather attached to him

Back