• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Binky/Bailey fights

SamanthaJane

Warren Veteran
She was in the vet yesterday, Bailey has bitten her and made a mess of her shoulder. Vet said see how they go on re spaying (2 girls) because beside that one incident and one chasing incident, they're fine. I will get them spayed, but they're only 4 months and I'd hoped (vet agrees) to wait for another month or so.

But I was just grooming Binky, I was teasing a matt out near her bum and noticed her lady bits are almost blood red - maybe it is blood I'm not sure. Could I have been a bit rough teasing out the matt?

She seems fine, eating and pooing and hopping around like normal.

Last edited:
A Doe's vulva can be very bright red. But without being able to see Binky's it's impossible to say if it appears normal or not

If there was a scuffle it is possible that she was bitten 'down below'
Did the Vet check for this ?

Yes the vet did check for that as she said that's an area they'll try and get.

But said it was fine. I'll check it tomorrow see if it's calmed down at all, I'm sure it's nothing - I hope anyway!

I don't know, I'm afraid. I would, however, be quite worried about the biting. Is your vet rabbit-savvy?

Yea, she seems to be - she keeps rabbits herself.

The buns are such bloody girls - most of the time, they're snuggled up together but once we had 'the bite' and once Bailey chased Binky (both times Bailey being a Bully) They are sisters so have aways been together.

Nothing for a good few days / week now so hoping they're getting over it. I really want to get them spayed but the vet said she's happy to do it now but would personally rather wait until they're nearer fully grown.

U/D

Just spotted another bite at the bottom of Binkys back, near the top of her leg.

Looks like an old one, nearly healed.

The first one is healing up ok, and this one has got hair beginning to grow.

So nothing bad happened recently (touch wood), but I think I'll try and get them booked in for a spay asap.

Does anyone know if there's more of a risk with them only being 4 months and 1 week?

Many very experienced vets will neuter females at approximately 4 months old or as soon as they have reached 1 kg in weight.

Younger rabbits have less fat and appear to wake up a lot quicker from their anaesthetics than the slightly older ones.

Back