• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Conflicting advice;do bro bucks fight?

Windy Day

Young Bun
:? Just been up the rescue centre again about my 3 baby rabbits from same litter that will be available for me in Oct or so I was led to believe.

It had turned out that I had been totally given the wrong advice by someone who worked there the last time I visited. My rabbits WILL be ready in Aug NOT Oct :love: which is better. Downside is - I can't have more than 1 buck together from the same litter cos they fight so I got to have 1 buck and 2 does instead. And I wasn't supposed to have been able to reserved the baby rabbits either, I will just have to turn up in Aug and hope these rabbits are still there! :? If they aren't, dunno I might have to get some from somewhere else or look at the grown up ones - aww shame that. Odd :shock:

I be aboard in July, Aug is a better time than Oct and the playhouse will be ready for them by then.

Last edited:
Not more likely than any other rabbits, probably not. Male brothers will have been together their entire life. They can be neutered as soon as their testicles drop at 12 wks so less chance of falling out when their hormones come. If you're not going for a male/female pair I would say brothers would be best because they would already be bonded before they came to you, I would imagine.

HI I have 2 brothers who have always been fine, they came to me at 9 months and I only got them done due to spraying !! They now live with another male and female and their bond is tighter than ever !

It very much depends on the rabbits but yes they could start fighting once the hormones kick in and even after being neutered there is no garuntee that it will stop as it can become learnt behaviour.

Is there a reason you wanted those two rabbits? A doe and a buck will be a much better combination although they will need to neutered as early as possible.

Totally depends on the rabbits.

I have two brothers together and they get along okay, and are 'companions' more than best friends and they must be about 6 now. They always chase over food, always!

I have a friend (on here) who has two brothers who have always been fine until recently where they have just decided to fight and despite me trying to rebond for her, they have had to be split (they are two and have been together forever and also neutered early).

I have a boarding client who has two brothers who have to live seperately as she has tried to bond/rebond them before and it failed.

But there will be many who have brothers.

My best combination for a happy combination is an unrelated male and female bonded after neutering and that comes from quite a vast experience, but it is by no means a hard and fast rule.

I should also say that taking on two buck brothers as babies means you will have to keep a very close eye on them becoming mature as they can flip very quickly, in fact overnight, when you least expect it. Neutering early would certainly be key.

I have rehomed to a couple who were not told about neutering by the shop where they bought their babies and one day were faced with a vets trip to get one of them operated on as his testicles had been ripped open. He died from the trauma/shock post op.

Girls are capable of hurting each other too, so this should not in itself put you off adopting a same sex pair. But just ensure you know what to look for and get them neutered as soon as you can - find a vet that will do this as early as possible (some vets aren't confident in doing early neuters).

Can only add to what has already been said. Same sex pairs are often kept together very successfully but also can fall out.
If considering a trio then the key would be plenty of space and toys. Change their toys/tunnels/space around regualrly to keep them busy.

(and on a side not we have a trio of young brothers who at present are still together and very loving with each other..they are being castrated in 9 days and will be ready for homes/home a weeks after that...they are all very friendly rabbits:D
link here to when they arrived..its the 3 younger ones
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=283941&highlight=scooby)

thanks folks :wave:

Oh dear more confused now. It sounds like the rescue centre staff just don't what the other are saying. I told by this lady she will not sell me 2 brother rabbits cos 'they will fight to the death' and advised me to take on 2 sister does with 1 brother buck!! Where else the last time I went and spoken to someone else. This someone else advises me to get 2 bro bucks!!!!!!! GAWD, where do I turn? All I want is 3 rabbits from the same litter.

I am now getting tempted to look else where, the rescue centre seems to be giving me a load of rubbish - which is such shame - explains why they are havig trouble rehoming their rabbits.

thanks folks :wave:

Oh dear more confused now. It sounds like the rescue centre staff just don't what the other are saying. I told by this lady she will not sell me 2 brother rabbits cos 'they will fight to the death' and advised me to take on 2 sister does with 1 brother buck!! Where else the last time I went and spoken to someone else. This someone else advises me to get 2 bro bucks!!!!!!! GAWD, where do I turn? All I want is 3 rabbits from the same litter.

I am now getting tempted to look else where, the rescue centre seems to be giving me a load of rubbish - which is such shame - explains why they are havig trouble rehoming their rabbits.

It sounds like they are not expecting you to neuter them? Boys will fight to the death if not neutered, and females are very likely to as well.

I was assuming the rescue was going to neuter them before you adopted them- are you getting babies younger than 12 weeks old?

The rescue centre's ALL buck rabbits ARE neutered anyway not the does. That's what I don't understand and I am prepared to neuter the does myself if that keeps a trio of rabbits in happy co with each other.

I was assuming the rescue was going to neuter them before you adopted them- are you getting babies younger than 12 weeks old?

I don't think they even know exactly how many weeks old the litter is. The litter is born at the rescue centre, cos they told me they do breed some litters there.

Perhaps I ought to cut my losses here and search else where it's just getting to complicated.

I don't think they even know exactly how many weeks old the litter is. The litter is born at the rescue centre, cos they told me they do breed some litters there.

Perhaps I ought to cut my losses here and search else where it's just getting to complicated.

THEY BREED THEIR LITTERS! (unless they mean that they have the occasional female in that is already pregnant)

But if they breed their litters, well that's not a rescue in my book, thats people making the whole rescue situation in this country even worse and they clearly have no understanding of rabbit care!

I would recommend you go somewhere reputable like Honeybunnies where you will find trios, trios are always crying out for adoption. My friend has one here locally and we've just reserved another trio after 2 yrs of asking! If you go somewhere that is recommended they will have all been neutered and vaccinated for both Myxo and VHD before you adopt. Makes life a whole lot easier.

Please don't go somewhere where you condone breeding by buying from them (I can't call it adoption as it's not!).

Helen

Last edited:
THEY BREED THEIR LITTERS! (unless they mean that they have the occasional female in that is already pregnant)

But if they breed their litters, well that's not a rescue in my book, thats people making the whole rescue situation in this country even worse and they clearly have no understanding of rabbit care!

I would recommend you go somewhere reputable like Honeybunnies where you will find trios, trios are always crying out for adoption. My friend has one here locally and we've just reserved another trio after 2 yrs of asking! If you go somewhere that is recommended they will have all been neutered and vaccinated for both Myxo and VHD before you adopt. Makes life a whole lot easier.

Please don't go somewhere where you condone breeding by buying from them (I can't call it adoption as it's not!).

Helen

Completely agree, why would a rescue breed more rabbits??

Are you sure they bred them?!

Yes you are right Duchess. I am getting bad vibes from the place something's not quite right. Nobody seems to know anything about rabbits & they don't seem professional either. The lady I saw the 1st time said I could reserve the bunnies and she handed me a plain note and I had to write on it the bunnies I wanted and the sex and I thought to myself. How will they know which litter I was actually actually talking about!! 1st it was Oct then it was Aug, thats 2 months different wait to take the bunnies home!!! ???

It's not right. Forget it. :evil:

Hunnybunnies here I come!:lol:

Yes you are right Duchess. I am getting bad vibes from the place something's not quite right. Nobody seems to know anything about rabbits & they don't seem professional either. The lady I saw the 1st time said I could reserve the bunnies and she handed me a plain note and I had to write on it the bunnies I wanted and the sex and I thought to myself. How will they know which litter I was actually actually talking about!! 1st it was Oct then it was Aug, thats 2 months different wait to take the bunnies home!!! ???

It's not right. Forget it. :evil:

Hunnybunnies here I come!:lol:

I have a bun from Jill at honeybunnies, shes lovely and will give you plenty of support and advice x

Yes boys from the same litter will fight. You need to separate them before they aggressive, have them neutered and rebond t hem.

Boys from the same litter can be kept together and they do NOT need to be separated prior to neutering, they need to be watched carefully for the testicles to show and castrated immediatley, they can recouperate together and will be fine, rebonding is not necessary and the bind won't be broken

I have had quite a few pairs, both male pairs and female pairs that I have done this with and there have been no problems at all, I also have a family of five Mummy and her twwo sons and two daughters and they have been together since birth and never separated, they are still all together and are fine

It can be done and you have been given the wrong advice, but if it's a rescue that breeds then it's not a decent rescue, I would avoid it all at costs

Yes boys from the same litter will fight. You need to separate them before they aggressive, have them neutered and rebond t hem.

Disagree with this advice totally. Anyone wishing to keep litter mates together needs to get them neutered early before their hormones start. Once they've fought, it's almost impossible to rebond!

I am speaking about my own experiences trying to help others who've ended up in this situation when they've bought rabbits or have adopted from somewhere and the information wasn't quite right.

I am sure that there will be examples where it has worked, but it's not necessary if handled properly very early on.

Back