• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new bunny mummy

Hi all. I adopted 2 bunnies from the RSPCA on Thursday. And have already found some great advice on your forum so thought i'd join you. I came across a great list of poisionous plants that someone posted and that's been really useful. just need to identify all the plants in my garden now. I've never owned bunnies before (i have 6 fish and a cat) so have some experience with animals, and am enjoying being a bunny mum (as is my daughter). I think they're settling in well, but it's hard to tell as i don't really know what normal rabbit behaviour is. But they've been eating, running, jumping, twitching, grooming, exploring. The only worry i've had so far is what i think is diarreah. Their poos have been normal pellet type, but there was some splats of what looked like bird poo in their run. I fully cleaned their hutch and run today, and so far there has been no more - i figure it's just because they are settling in, and maybe a little scared. I'll keep my eye on them, but they do seem better today. Anyways, hello to you all,
Jules & Jess (and sunshine and Cloud thou i think the bunnines names may change once my daughters decided)

Hello welcome to RU - you will learn lots :D.

Re the poos do you know what your buns were eating before you got them? Diet changes can cause runny poos. About 80% of their diet should be hay with just a small amount of pellets and green leafy veg such as spring greens.

Hi Webble,
They were on pellets before i adobpted them, but i think for the first couple of days i probably fed them too many pellets, and I gave them a carrot, So i've cut the pellets down, and have given them just a leaf of cabbage

hello and welcome:D

could well be the extra pellets and carrot - sugary veg like that always upset the tum of one of mine.

also, had they been on grass before? sometimes that can cause runny poops too if its not introduced slowly.

hopefully, plenty hay munching will sort them out:D

Hello and welcome!

Make sure they are eating plenty of good quality hay and avoid veggies for a while and it should improve. It's probably just the stress of moving to a new space. :)

Hello and welcome. It's lovely that you have adopted a pair of bunnies, I am sure they will bring you and your daughter lots of enjoyment (along with worries, heartache and stress :lol: but they are worth it!)

It's best to keep them to exactly the same diet they have been used to at the RSPCA for at least 2 weeks then providing they have remained well you can very slowly make any changes or additions you wish.

If you are unsure of what they have been used to I'd give the RSPCA a call and ask them I'm sure they will be pleased to help.

Hi Webble,
They were on pellets before i adobpted them, but i think for the first couple of days i probably fed them too many pellets, and I gave them a carrot, So i've cut the pellets down, and have given them just a leaf of cabbage

Welcome :wave:! And like others have said it's probably just a change of diet. It's great that you've cut down on pellets and veg a bit, that was most likely causing it but no harm done and I'm sure they enjoyed the extra food :lol:!

Welcome to the world of bunnysssss! Are yours outside or indoor buns? :love:

Awwww, tiny bunnies. :love:Your cat is gorgeous too by the way. :love::love:

Welcome to the forum. :D:D

Back