• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To spay or not to spay?

mooney713

New Kit
hello im not sure what to do? i have 2 sister rabbits who are healthy and happy and get along but recently one of them has started to be a bit grumpy towards her sister and me! she is a bit of a pain to get out of the hutch and when i go to get her in from the run she will stand up on her hind legs and goes to bite me, she then has to be picked up by the scruff. I was just wondering if spaying would help and if she was spayed would her sister have to be spayed at the same time? xx

It's best to get girls spayed anyway unless there is an obvious health reason to prevent a GA :)

:D Thanks, i know its best to get them spayed so i may just do this! its just odd that she has only recently started it she doesnt draw blood but its enough to mark the skin, i though it could be a hormonal thing? xxx

It could be the time of year or any subtle change in the garden that you dont know about. Picking her up by the scruff wont be the nicest for her either and will help to make her more aggressive and make it a vicious circle. Getting them done will help

Do they have enough space to play and toys? It could be a bit of boredom too

hello :wave:
admittedly the run isnt as big as id like it to be but this is because they have managed to dig their way out of anywhere else they are put and ended up in the neighbours garden! :lol:

i`ve tried putting them with toys and treats that they have to investigate but they have no interest and leave them in the corner. They have just stopped pulling their fur to make nests but they`ve done this before and she still hasn`t ever bitten? when she was a baby she was the bravest one from the litter now she appears to have turned into the skittish one?

I hate having to scruff her but its the only way to get get her in :cry: :cry:

I would get them spayed as soon as you can it all sounds very hormonal - have you discussed spaying with your vet?

not yet! im moving in a few weeks and am hoping to get them spayed within a few days of moving. Do you think attaching the run to the hutch would mae her feel better so she isn't being held? :D

Attaching it would definitely help if she doesn't like being held (most rabbits don't) or you could use a carrier with a treat inside to move her.

Back