• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to cover runs with, temporarily? For shade and protection from rain :)

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
Hiya,

I'm planning to cover the top of my 6 x 4 run with corrugated plastic (not sure whether to do it in 3 bits or in 1 large bit yet), but not for around a month or so.

For now I need the best way to keep it cool/shaded for at least part of the area, and also waterproof-ish. Just enough waterproofness to keep the grass from being absolutely soaked if it rains a lot, so they can still enjoy the outside without getting totally soaked :roll:!

I've tried a semi transparent shower curtain but I'm not sure how much heat that's getting rid of for them. Obviously it blocks some of the sun, but it doesn't provide much shade for them.

I was considering some black bin bags over the top (we have some really thick ones), but I wasn't sure what that would mean in terms of heat retention inside the run. Obviously there is air flowing through (the sides aren';t covered, juts the top), but still. Also, the dark colour tends to attract flies due to it remaining hot later at night when everything else has cooled down, so I'm obviously concerned about that.

Any suggestions?

I use old sheets or duvet covers to make "tents" or canopies for shade. I would then cover with tarpaulin or sheet plastic for waterproofing.

I throw an old duvet up on top of the aviary to provide shade, it has a clear corrugated plastic roof and we are south facing - well, I say old, actually its my sons duvet but I wash it before he gets it back for the winter!:lol:

Old sheets and towels for shade, which I only put on half the run so they can lie in the sun if they want to. Then tarpaulin on top. Hold the corners down with bricks :D

Back