• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Greetings from Alaska, USA

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
Hello everyone, my name is Mary and my three bunnies and I have peeked into your forums more than once, but never to post, just to learn. We've been lurking so regularly of late we decided to join up. I hope you all don't mind having a 'Yank' in the ranks. :wave:

A quick history: I have been a bunny slave for the last 4 years. My first bun is a sooty fawn Holland Lop named Mimzy, hence my username, MimzMum. He was abandoned at my husband's place of business with two REW males back in the summer of '07. We were able to capture him (although we had thought he was a she) and I was surprised to find that hubby allowed me to keep him. We had planned to capture the other two to turn over to a shelter, but one neighbor managed to secure one of them and took him home, the other must have passed away before winter, as he'd been looking very sickly and then disappeared. :cry:

My second bunny master actually came from a local pet store later that year in December (bad, I know, but she was one of the last they ever sold after adopting a 'no bunny sales' policy). She was supposed to be my daughter's bunny, but began bonding with Mimzy, so I have since taken care of her. Her name is Pip. She is about the same age as Mimzy, we think, and a Palomino/Half-Lionhead. A very stocky and sturdy bun, I rarely have health concerns with her. We also thought she was a he when we found her. Wrong again!:oops:

After some time attempting to bond them, and it going very well, Mimzy developed worsening nasal problems, and without a clear diagnosis/cure from the vet I was taking him to at the time, we separated them before a bond could be cemented. They have been separate ever since, which I hope to remedy this year. Mimzy has since acquired mild arthritis in his hips, no cure has ever been found for his nasal problems, but no disease has presented itself during testing either. Antibiotics have little to no effect. We think he may suffer simply from allergies.

In the end though, it will not be an easy bond, due to the fact that I have three bunnies to think of grouping. Because in August of '08, I was in that same pet store buying supplies and my daughter noticed a lone, broken tort Mini-Rex sitting in a tiny pen back behind the pet costumes. He had apparently, upon inquiry, been 'returned' to the store because the four little 8-10 year old boys whom he was bought as playmate for found him, 'unfriendly'. I learned they often took him up by the ears (he is mortally afraid of anything near his face) and ran him around and scared him by grabbing him. When he was not being harassed he was locked in a dark basement. Such is the mentality of some :censored: 'people.'

How the storekeepers thought he'd be noticed to be adopted back in this little cubbyhole in the establishment, I have no idea, but he was free to whomever would have him. Now I had two buns and did not think my hub would allow a third; even so I picked him up and he snuggled right in. He knew he was going home! Still, so timid and shaken was he, that I instantly heard the name Fiver, in my head, whilst holding him. (Yes, I'm a huge Watership Down fan.) And so Fiver he was before we'd even left the store. He's highly lovable (as any bun is!) and cuddly, but still doesn't particularly like being handled. Once you get him settled, he loves being fussed over...it's just the catching him that is difficult. And true to his namesake, he is the first one to thump when he feels a threat is near.
It is mostly for him that I have been here so often in the last weeks, due to the difficulty he's had for about a year or so with recurring cecal dysbiosis; and so all the threads by 'Thumps', a veteran member here, are my main focus. I hope to effect a cure for him in particular, perhaps using similar methods as she.

I have never looked back in my role as bunny slave. My home also boasts three cats of assorted ages and one perky Yorkshire Terrier/Chihuahua mix (after years of living with MacKenzie River Huskies). My human family consists of myself and my husband, my college-age son who is currently on campus and my 19 year old daughter who still lives at home.

I look forward to being a member of your wonderful community. I hope we can continue to learn from you all, and maybe contribute something worthwhile as well. :love:

And hopefully any future 'quick' posts will not be as long as this one was!:lol:

A good morning to all!:D

Welcome, there's always room for more bunny slaves on the forum. :D:D

And yes, photos of your bunnies are a must. ;) :love::love:

Hello! Nice to hear of other people as ruled by their buns as I am! Can't wait to see some photos of your little characters.

Hiya and welcome! :wave: You seem like a nice person :)

And wow, Alaska! I have only seen photos, but it looks such a beautiful part of the world.

Welcome :wave: what a story, glad to hear the bunnies have fallen on their feet with you. :D

Welcome!

Hi welcome aboard and what a story about little Fiver, heartbreaking but so lovely that you are now looking after him!! Please post some pics! xx:love:

Hello again everyone! Your warm welcomes have cheered me greatly. Thank you!

Sorry for the long time between original post and reply, I'm afraid I've sustained some computer difficulties and have spent the last week or so offloading data so that it can go to the shop to be repaired. (or to get a new one, this PC is about 10 years old)

I would load some pictures, but most are all on my computer and of course what happened to crash but my file manager (Explorer.exe) and so I can't even access any to show you. :oops:

I will see if I can post from some I already have at an online photo storage site...mind they are not the best, but will give you all an idea who my masters are! :lol:

I also had a bad scare the other night as Fiver, my mini-rex, went into a severe sudden onset stasis and had to be rushed to the ER at one in the morning. We were there for about three hours, he was given sub-q fluids with reglan, some buprenorphine for pain and given some metacam to go home with. When I first took him in, I thought he was going into torsion and feared he wouldn't come back with us, whole. :shock: Fortunately, though he is better today and eating/pottying/drinking. He tends to send me through these episodes more than the other two, so I am hoping to find something to help keep his tummy more regular.

Anyway, thanks again for the welcomes! We are glad to be here. I might mention that if I can afford now to get my PC in to it's own doctor, I may be offline again for a time, but hope to be back as soon as possible. :)

I'm off to see about those pictures.;) I'm not familiar with your type of forum as far as posting images, but I should be able (hopefully) to suss it out before too long...:? (I really hope these aren't too large :shock: )
Mimzy (chinning his litter pan)
chinup.jpg

Fiver (one of his first pix)
Fiverpbsm.jpg

Pip (another older one from when she first came home)
Pippbsm.jpg

Oh, and for good measure, my Yorkie, Jenna, who thinks she's a rabbit:
jennabegs.jpg

Hi Mary :wave:
Welcome to the forum from one of the other far flung members.
Your bunny trio are lovely :love::love:
I enjoyed hearing about how they came to enslave you.
Long may you continue to win the battle with Fiver's gut!

Welcome Mary. I am a fellow American but from the South. It is 104 here today. Wish we had some of your cooler weather. I love all the pictures of your three. They are all so different and adorable.

Thanks KB! :)
Oh and happysaz...well Alaska is a beautiful place...but you have to like the mozzies in the summertime. This year is particularly bad for some reason. Spiders too.:shock:
bunnytoes, Oddly enough, we've had high 70's the last few days and from what I remember of California (yes, I'm a transplant) it almost fells like 104!:cry: Still...nice glacier-cold river water within walking distance, so, not terribly bad. Hope it cools off for you soon!

Back