• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Griefing Bunny

Furry

Young Bun
Hello

My bunny Jojo (who's coming to 8yrs old soon) last week sadly lost her friend.

We've cuddled and cried for days for the loss of our little bunny man. i've got no intention to bring another bunny into our lives as i cannot bear the loss when that day comes.

Jojo still seem to be depressed and sad. I've tried to spent every spare minute with her but she just doesn't seem interested. i know i am no replacement for her friends.

She just sat and sleep all day with the occasionally getting up to eat, drink and used the litter tray...

She's never been alone before, all her lives has been spent with her 2 friends but sadly one by one left her ...

How can i make her day more lively and interesting? Any suggestions?

She's a house bunny.

Things i am trying -
Hiding her treats in the hay so she can forage abit
Cut kitchen roll tube into 2 pieces and stuffed hay inside - she has been throwing it around - think just because they are in her way..
Will get a cardboard box and fill it up with paper/hay - she used to love jumping inside and dig...

Any other ideas greatly welcome.

hi,
i'm so sorry for your loss. it is an awful sad time for you all and poor jojo must feel very lonely.

it is good she is a house bunny and has you about with her, i always feel for poor rabbits on their own outside.
i think it will just take time for jojo to come to terms with loosing her mate. i found my male Buddy grieves terribly (he has lost 2 partners) the second time we lost one i went out the same day to replace her and he still showed no interest in the newbies (they were seperated by wire but could see each other) and he still grieved for poor maisie.

i can't think of anything to stop her being lonely. you seem to be occupying her well enough and doing a good job already. just give her plenty of attention. all the things you listed mine love.. especially the box! :)

I just felt so sorry for Jojo.

The first time round wasn't too bad as she still has one mate left... but now she has no other bunny friend to help her to cope...

Am trying to make her as happy as i could possibly can... Just worried she get too depressed and let her immune system down and get ill... She is an old girl after all.

Hi Fluffy. I'm so sorry you've lost your bunnies. :cry: I'm in the same situation with my boy, who lost his brother 6 months ago. They'd been together all their 7 years, and had the strongest bond. He still isn't really 'over' it, but he does have happy times now, when he's out in the sunshine, or when I bring him into a different room the stimulation helps to take his mind of it.

Do you scatter feed at all? By cutting up JoJo's veggies and scattering them and her pellets around the room, it gives her something to hop around and look for. It also mimics the natural foraging behaviour that she'd use in the wild. What about a digging tray, filled with soil or play sand? Again this is a natural activity for her to do, and will give her something else to think about. A treat ball filled with pellets that rolls away as she pushes it, and a hay ball that does the same thing, may help too. Spend plenty of time lying on the floor with her, and ask for bunny kisses. Groom her if she enjoys that. Move all her toys around every day, even move her cage (unless that distresses her) to give her a new perspective.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

I've gave her a paperbag (couldn't find a box) and put some hay and treats inside and she is inside scratching, eating hay and searching for treats..
:lol:

sorry for your loss, i'm in the same situation-poor Chandon lost his Moet yesterday and they have been together for 7 years. i had a look at this thread to see what ideas people have for grieving bunnies. i also have a bonded pair and trio so considering trying Chandon out with the trio of females. he looks so lost at the moment and i want to help him. hope your jojo recovers too!

Back