• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

struggling to keep weight on Smartie! U/D pics post 16!

emmiiee

Warren Veteran
Before the vets is mentiond will say I took him to vets about his weight in feb! And he's been 3 times in the last month or so for his neut etc!

The vet said he is just one of those rabbits! Whose weight is up n down! He is fine in himself and eats loads but can't keep weight on well it goes up and down! Had to bring him in over the winter cos he was to underweight to stay out! He put loads of weight on, then was neuted, then went back outside about 3 or 4 weeks ago! His weight is creaping back down! Z

I am tempted to just feed unlimited pellets and well as hay obv! And then 2 lots instead of 1 of veg!

Any foods/veg than I can give him which is good for putting weight on him!

Last edited:
carrot and banana are more fattening for rabbits. I wouldnt feed unlimited pellets though as then you could end up with other problems, such as excess calcium and other minerals.

I would be concerned that is is some underlying issue, but if he has been checked by the vets then maybe try Protexin Profibre pellets. My Inca has them, and quite a few bunnies on here. They can help with weight gain.

carrot and banana are more fattening for rabbits. I wouldnt feed unlimited pellets though as then you could end up with other problems, such as excess calcium and other minerals.

Oo okies! So feed abit more carrots and narna tho I no narnas a treat etc x

I would be concerned that is is some underlying issue, but if he has been checked by the vets then maybe try Protexin Profibre pellets. My Inca has them, and quite a few bunnies on here. They can help with weight gain.

Yhh the vet said he can't see/find anything that would explain it and there's not other symptoms he is behaving normal! Eating, drinking, toileting etc the vet also suggested only lettin him have run access for about 2 hours and if he is on the go constantly that's not helping keeping his weight on!

I'll look into the protexin profibre pellets! See if I can get a sample or something for him to try!

having said carrot and banana, Barney didnt put weight on when i increased these or fed more pellets. he has ended up with the problems i mentioned above (partly due to genetics and partly too may pellets) so it might just be the way smartie is. he might juts be skinner than your other rabbits. Is he moulting atm?

Yhh the vet said he can't see/find anything that would explain it and there's not other symptoms he is behaving normal! Eating, drinking, toileting etc the vet also suggested only lettin him have run access for about 2 hours and if he is on the go constantly that's not helping keeping his weight on!

I'll look into the protexin profibre pellets! See if I can get a sample or something for him to try!

I wouldn't limit his run access, that would be a shame!

Instead of unlimited pellets why not try more hay? Because rabbits eat hay and pellets in different ways the pellets do not help to keep the molars worn down but hay does, maybe try some of the hay for pets stuff if he doesn't eat much normal hay, mine go mad over it.

Also next time you go to the vets maybe ask for him to be blood tested if you can afford it? My Jack was always under weight, when he died the vet I took him to queried if I had ever had him blood tested as he could have had underlying liver or kidney problems (this was the emergency vet not my normal one who had never mentioned bloods).

having said carrot and banana, Barney didnt put weight on when i increased these or fed more pellets. he has ended up with the problems i mentioned above (partly due to genetics and partly too may pellets) so it might just be the way smartie is. he might juts be skinner than your other rabbits. Is he moulting atm?

a majjorrr heavy moult!!!!

Instead of unlimited pellets why not try more hay? Because rabbits eat hay and pellets in different ways the pellets do not help to keep the molars worn down but hay does, maybe try some of the hay for pets stuff if he doesn't eat much normal hay, mine go mad over it.

Also next time you go to the vets maybe ask for him to be blood tested if you can afford it? My Jack was always under weight, when he died the vet I took him to queried if I had ever had him blood tested as he could have had underlying liver or kidney problems (this was the emergency vet not my normal one who had never mentioned bloods).

mine normally have meadow hay,and for a treat they have timothy hay every noe and again! will give him some of that!

fur is part of the weight so it may be partly to blame, i think it can get them down a bit too, plus they need to use more energy for growing new fur :)

ooo didnt think of that!!

tho if i saw a pic of him and he wasn't my rabbit i'd think he was like starved and not looked after!!

im not saying there isnt anther reason but i this is likely to be part of it. my flopsy looks quite ridiculous at the moment, i didnt realise quite how thick his fur was until he started this moult, its the first time he has shed his winter coat (he is only just coming up to a year)

im not saying there isnt anther reason but i this is likely to be part of it. my flopsy looks quite ridiculous at the moment, i didnt realise quite how thick his fur was until he started this moult, its the first time he has shed his winter coat (he is only just coming up to a year)

yhh smartie is about 10 months!

this was him just after his neut in about april time
215721_2026794108122_1192116864_2481517_6714783_n.jpg

still woooseey
208132_2026793188099_1192116864_2481516_4141842_n.jpg

this is him today

228030_2124291065485_1192116864_2607156_1762271_n.jpg

227971_2124291345492_1192116864_2607157_6438357_n.jpg

225444_2124291545497_1192116864_2607158_8262584_n.jpg

247374_2124291985508_1192116864_2607159_5843791_n.jpg

Back