• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice required urgently

Curious1

Young Bun
Hello.

Have two rabbits. Both been fine this morning and afternoon.

However, just went out to change litter tray and one of my rabbits doesnt seem himself. He is usually nosy and is darting around seeing what I am up to when Im changing hay and litter - he wasnt interested and sat in the corner looking tired. I tried to stroke him and normally he is temperamental as to whether he likes to be stroked or runs away from you. He just sat there not bothered. I picked him up and tried looking for signs of illness. He seemed to have a wetish rear end area - im not sure if this was me being paranoid or if hes just sat in water etc. I put him down and he has just ran to the back of the garden and is lying hiding under a bush.

He has been sprayed with some fly strike preventative solution about a month ago. Any advice on what I should do/ what I should look for most appreciated as Im really worried and unsure whether im being a hypochondriac and hes just tired or whether something is wrong.

Please advise.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome :D
Is he eating and pooing? Tempt him with some of his favourite food. If he refuses it might be worth getting him to the emergency vet. If a rabbit stops eating they can go down hill very quickly :(
Dont panic yet, go and try him with his favourite treat and let us know how it goes :wave:

It sounds as though he might have tummy pain. You need to contact a Vet now. It really cannot wait until the morning. I would take him indoors and place him on a heatpad in a Pet Carrier and get on the phone to a Vet

Good luck

he wont eat - he never turns down pellets, hes just sitting at back of garden not moving letting me stroke him, he usually is edgy about being snuck up on when hiding in the gardn - he seems too weak to care.

Will get him to the vets ASAP - will any vets be suitable or shall i take him to his usual rabbits vets which may be further away?

thanks jane will try and see if he eats now - if not ill bring him in right away and get to vets asap.

Try and keep him warm aswell, especially if he feels cold around the ears. Is your vet rabbit savvy? Make sure they give him some pain relief Xxx

he wont eat - he never turns down pellets, hes just sitting at back of garden not moving letting me stroke him, he usually is edgy about being snuck up on when hiding in the gardn - he seems too weak to care.

Will get him to the vets ASAP - will any vets be suitable or shall i take him to his usual rabbits vets which may be further away?

A rabbit savvy vet is very important, he needs to get the correct treatment which a non rabbit vet might not know about. Good luck and tons of vibes for your little guy xx

Good luck.
First thing for them to check is stasis.
As someone's said pain releif and comfort measures are the most important things and comfort from you xxx

The vet should have a good feel of his tummy and if they can not feel a blockage then the following medication can and should be administerd.

Pain Relief- Our vet uses Ketofen but I know a lot on here have Metacam
Gut Stimulant- Metaclopramide and Zantac
Sub Q Fluids if he is not drinking as he may be dehydrated
You can ask for Infacol to be given if he feels gassy
You should be sent home with Recovery feed and a probiotic such as Bio Lapis and Fibreplex

Good luck and I hope he feels much better soon!

Hi thanks for the help. Took him to the vets, they said he seemed Ok, everything seemed fine - gave zantac and critical care formula to feed and sent us home. Just put him back in his run and tried to tempt him with some pellets which he instantly had a little munch on! Feel much better now - not sure whether I was being over paranoid or whether it would have turned into something more if left but he wasnt himself and id rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks guys - I'll keep a close eye on him throughout the night and tomorrow and let you know how everythings going.

Hi thanks for the help. Took him to the vets, they said he seemed Ok, everything seemed fine - gave zantac and critical care formula to feed and sent us home. Just put him back in his run and tried to tempt him with some pellets which he instantly had a little munch on! Feel much better now - not sure whether I was being over paranoid or whether it would have turned into something more if left but he wasnt himself and id rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks guys - I'll keep a close eye on him throughout the night and tomorrow and let you know how everythings going.

Did the Vet give any pain relief ?

Didn't they give him any pain relief?? :? They really should have done based on his symptoms described by you - their only clinical indicator of pain :roll:
Nevermind, if he's eating now that's great... just keep him eating through the night - this means getting up every few hours i'm afraid, but it's vital he keeps eating and drinking. If he goes downhill again straight back to the vet and this time insist on pain relief. I hope he feels better in the morning x

Only just read this, I am glad your bun has been to the vets and hopefully is on the road to recovery but keep a close eye for some time.

Its always better to catch problems early. :)

Should have said, vet said he seemed bright but gave him pain relief straight away. Have set my alarm for every two hours to keep an eye. Thanks. Also it was an emergency vets I took him to as it was out of hours. Should I take him to his usual vets in the morning for a checkover or should I only do this if he seems no better?

Well done for acting so quickly. I hope your bun is ok now. If he's still a bit 'off' I would definitely get him checked further. They're not easy on the ol purse strings are they :D

Did the vet check his teeth, including the back ones with an otoscope? Unfortunately tooth problems are rife in buns, and it may be he's needing a dental. Loads of vibes for the little munchkin.

Anyway, I just want to say, well done for taking him to the emergency vets! Too many people 'wait and see' when it comes to rabbits. You sound like a very caring bunny owner. :thumb:

Back