• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do you have to be cruel to be kind ? giving meds

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
Chinchillas are so fragile. I have given meds to my bunny and my cat, for my cat it was years. A tablet once a day for arthritis.

So much harder with a chinchilla, you are aware how small they are.

Babydarling has been struggling so much, but being firm and holding him down for his eye drops and daily liquid abx. I feel so mean and cruel. Clearly he is not happy. They are all avoiding me big time.

Do you struggle too and feel guilty ?

All the time. :(
It's the worst part about being a pet owner.

I was lucky with Cheech and the painkillers because she actually liked the taste of them and I could syringe her through the bars, but I can't imagine they like the antibiotics.

You could try mixing them with some concentrated juice but I'm not sure what's suitable. But then you have the problem of getting them to eat more. It's really hard.

All the time. :(
It's the worst part about being a pet owner.

I was lucky with Cheech and the painkillers because she actually liked the taste of them and I could syringe her through the bars, but I can't imagine they like the antibiotics.

You could try mixing them with some concentrated juice but I'm not sure what's suitable. But then you have the problem of getting them to eat more. It's really hard.

Babydarling lapped up the painkiller at the vets. The abx are baytril. I know it tastes disgusting. Tried it when my bun had to have it and my vet told me it was nasty, so used to mix with pineapple juice and manuka honey.

I could buy some apple juice. Thought the apple pieces would work.

Babydarling lapped up the painkiller at the vets. The abx are baytril. I know it tastes disgusting. Tried it when my bun had to have it and my vet told me it was nasty, so used to mix with pineapple juice and manuka honey.

I could buy some apple juice. Thought the apple pieces would work.

You could try cranberry juice. Personally I have always just popped it in the mouth and got it over with, then given treats to bribe them for their love back. :lol:

How much does he have to have in each dose?

You could try cranberry juice. Personally I have always just popped it in the mouth and got it over with, then given treats to bribe them for their love back. :lol:

How much does he have to have in each dose?

I do syringe it quickly. The vets did as well, only he seemed to like the painkiller.

The amount is 0.4 on a small thin syringe. Once a day. Last night some of it went out over his mouth.

I do syringe it quickly. The vets did as well, only he seemed to like the painkiller.

The amount is 0.4 on a small thin syringe. Once a day. Last night some of it went out over his mouth.

That is a fair bit for a little guy. :(
The painkiller, Metacam or Loxicom or whatever they use, tastes like honey apparently. I've never had a problem giving it, but antibiotics, especially Baytril are supposed to taste horrible. :(

It's awful isn't it and a balance between stressing them out and helping them.

We've just had to give our new chinese hammy (who came to us nervous and a biter) Baytril and also clean his leg with hibiscrub. We had no option but to scruff him but we felt so mean doing it. :(

I always try to take the easy way out if possible, so I would see how you get on with the juice. Baytril is foul stuff; I wish they'd make a nice tasting one.

Dylan is on metacam for life now and I do feel cruel as he hates it. I know I have to give it to him for his own good - but sadly, he doesn't understand that and is starting to hide when it is meds time:(

I've now got the hang of how to do it quickly and firmly no matter how he struggles and he gets a cuddle afterwards but he is elderly and I do feel a monster at meds time:(

Back