• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Dandruff?

Hi, I currently have 2 rabbits, one of which is a 4 year old female who we believe has cancer.. Sadly she became ill in feb, she was urinating blood and after a lot of research and taking her to the vet we were told she either had bladder stones or uterine cancer, we went ahead with spaying her which I now realise (with a lot of guilt) that this should have been a first priority upon getting her. When he removed her uterus he said it had a lot of tumours on it and that it's possible the cancer would spread to her lungs and I would be able to notice Frankie deteriorating although she would not be in any pain (much to my disbelief). So I selfishly but somewhat very optimistically decided we would keep her alive, and she is still going strong, she seems no different to how she was before the cancer. Admittedly we never got any scans done to prove that it has spread we just went by the doctors advice, but it still plays on my mind.

So anyway today I was stroking her and noticed some dandruff on the top of her fur behind her ears, I looked at the skin below and there is some flaky skin with sore looking red patches. She didn't seem to be in pain and was happy to let me have a poke around. Ive read that it's probably mites but I just want to eliminate any other possibilities. Our other rabbit is a 4 month old male and has recently started trying to mount her but she's having none of it. He scratches at her back sometimes. (we will be getting him neutered within the next month or so as I believe he is too young at the moment.)

So could it be mites? Or could the stress of Doug trying to mount her be
affecting her? Or could it be her possibly be her weakened immune system? I feel incredibly guilty for putting her through an illness due to my ignorance, as at the time of getting her I never thought it would be sacrificing her health, I only saw it as that I wouldn't be getting another rabbit, she won't be getting pregnant, etc.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you. x x Lauren x x

It probably is mites, but probably best to talk to the vet about it given her history of illness.

You shouldn't keep an un-neutered male with your girl, even if she's spayed. The stress of being constantly mounted by him isn't going to be good for her.

Could you split their living accommodation so they can see each other, but he can't hump her?

Sounds like mites, they come on at times of stress, so would make sense.

A trip to the vets will confirm. You will probably get some spot on Xeno 450 which will have to be applied fortnightly for three doses.

The live indoors in a two tiered cage with a ramp that I can raise, I've done that a couple of times recently but they cane see each other. If not I have another cage my boyfriend made in the garden I can put the boy in. Should I keep him outside until he's neutered? Im going to ring the vets tomorrow then. Are mites big enough to see? I couldnt see any. And also I've read that sometimes they come from hay, is this true?

Thank you for your help x x

She was molting about a month and a half ago, but it was only a big area on her back and it finally all grew out to the same length a few weeks ago x x

Last edited:
Back