• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bonded buns arguing after night at vets

Yayhelen

Warren Scout
So Poppy spent last night at emergency vets with gastric stasis and came home today, took her hubby Morris along with her although I know they kept them in separate beds to monitor what she ate/poo overnight.

They travelled home together in the same carry case and were just fine as as she is on meds (zantac, metoclopramide and metacam) I brought the indoor cage in and set up to monitor her. Poppy went straight into the cage and Morris had a run about till 10.30, as soon as he got in the cage her humped her and has been sat thumping since although she seems okay (lying together with intermittent thumps from him).

I am a bit worried as she is usually the boss but he is nagging her as she is off colour and I don't want to separate them (as this will only exacerbate things) or put her under undue stress or handle her too much (an interfere with smells).

I am just worried that even though they now seem calm they may tiff again. I was up till 3am and back up at 8! Am sooo tired but don't want to leave them if they may fight.... Do you think the drugs make Poppy smell different (plus all handling of vets and us to administer drugs) if so do you reckon now he mounted her and they seem okay they should be alright!!! Very concerned!!!!:?

I think they'll be fine. It sounds like there was just a little mounting? A lot of bonded buns do that and if they've settled now then as you say, it's more stressful to separate.

Thanks Tamsin :) worried me mainly because they do mount so Ocassionally but that's usually Poppy mounting Morris to show who's boss. Don't want him pushing her too much when she is feeling poorly :( it's so horrid having a sick bunny and I just don't want to stress her out even more!!

My boy's been poorly and back and forth to vets and spent hours with me......she mounted him yesterday and tok a chunk of fur out of him!!! :oops:
She does do this from time to time.........typical stroppy doe!
I'll leave them to it but maybe set your alarm half way throught the night to check on them???
Good luck xxxx

Thanks Hannah, got the OH on the job for a bit soon and then will check them again later, they do seem settled again now. Fingers crossed!!!

Back