• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Quiet gurgling/rumbling stomach noises

KathyAnn

New Kit
Hello,

I have been hearing very quiet gurgling-like noises coming from my rabbit's stomach. I can only hear these noises when it's really quiet and when I listening next to her stomach. At the same time I've heard her do the odd slightly louder gurgle when I'm a little further away from her.

She is acting normal, eating and drinking fine, and she seems relaxed and not in any sort of pain.

Can someone tell me if these noises are normal? Thank you.

Some stomach noises are normal :) If you were sitting a way away and could still here them then it might be gas. My Mischa sometimes has loud stomach noises when he's a bit gassy which I can hear from the other side of the room. (Have since made diet changes to sort this) But when right next to their tummy then yeah, that's fine and normal.

Thank you very much for your reply :)

The only thing that has been changed in her diet is she has been having a few Dandelion leaves which she rarely has.

Yes I was sitting a little away from her when I heard the little noises. But they weren't very often.

Is there anything I should be giving her to help with the gas? I read some sites that mention somethings from drug stores?

I doubt she has gas, if you only heard it very close to her. It's probably just normal stomach noises. You can very gently feel her stomach if you're worried. It shouldn't feel hard. Dandelion leaves probably wouldn't cause gas. Mine have always been fine on dandelion leaves. It was things like spring green and broccoli that gave Mischa gas.

If you can hear them a distance away I would say it was gas, which can be a warning sign for bloat/stasis. Is she eating and pooping normally right now? You can give Infacol (simeticone) and gently rub her tummy to help disperse the gas and prevent things deteriorating if it continues. If at any point she stops being interested in food or begins to lie down and get up uncomfortably then she needs prompt veterinary treatment and more tummy rubs whilst you wait.

Thank you both for your replies :)

Before I was sitting fairly close to her, not too far of a distance when I heard the noises.

I haven't been hearing the noises from a distance right now, just when I have been sat next to her or when I put my ear next to her tummy.

I have felt her tummy and it doesn't feel hard, it feels normal.

If I start to hear the noises from more of a distance I will give her some Infacol and give her gentle tummy rubs. She is eating, pooping and acting normal. But if that changes I will take her to the vet.

Thank you very much for your help :)

Last edited:
Back