• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sore hocks, flooring and the like

KarenM

Administrator
Staff member
Alfie has the beginnings of a sore hock. I have already ordered some foam matting for the floor of the kennel and run but I'm just wondering what to do about other areas. :?

Presumably, the sore is made worse from pressure when they're resting. He spends a lot of time asleep on a plastic stool or on one of those wooden run shelters. Both have grass mats on top - is this ok or would it be too abrasive?

If it's not suitable, what would be a good alternative?

Oh and do bunnies chew foam matting? :shock:

I don't know about foam matting, I havent used that before. I cover the floor of the shed with fleeces - you can get those fleecey cushions/mats (Blackberry and Tracy have had them for sale before) that might work for putting on top of the plastic stool?

Does Alfie spend most of his time being a 'slipper' as opposed to full-on flops? I suspect one of the factors in Pickle getting hocks is that when he sits, he brings his back feet too far forward so putting more pressure on them, but there isnt much I can do to change that!

I know that going up the ramp in their hutch made Pixie's feet worse, one of the reasons why we got a shed. My vet has always advised to ensure they spend as much time as possible on grass, as its the best surface for them to be on. Easier to do this in Summer!

I don't know about foam matting, I havent used that before. I cover the floor of the shed with fleeces - you can get those fleecey cushions/mats (Blackberry and Tracy have had them for sale before) that might work for putting on top of the plastic stool?

Does Alfie spend most of his time being a 'slipper' as opposed to full-on flops? I suspect one of the factors in Pickle getting hocks is that when he sits, he brings his back feet too far forward so putting more pressure on them, but there isnt much I can do to change that!

I know that going up the ramp in their hutch made Pixie's feet worse, one of the reasons why we got a shed. My vet has always advised to ensure they spend as much time as possible on grass, as its the best surface for them to be on. Easier to do this in Summer!

Yep, Alfie is a slipper most of the time, with just the occasional full on flop. :roll:

I have some cheap fleeces so I can cover the foam mats with those if somebunny starts eating them.... and just hope I don't end up falling over as fleeces always seem slippery underfoot to me. :oops::lol::lol:

I have a couple of the fleece blankets that Tracy made so I can try them out on the stool and the run shelter, then order some more if need be.

It's quite hard trying to please everybun though as Alfie needs the fleece for his footsies but I know Bubbles will think their house has turned into one big toilet. *sigh* :lol::lol:

I've put some straw down on the floor for now but neither bun is very impressed - Alfie hasn't moved from the run shelter and Bubbles is sulking in the shed. :lol:

I found cheap duvets worked well. Some buns will pee on them though, mine did at first, but now they very very rarely do so. I cover them with towels so that I don't have to wash it so often.

Beware if you use vetbed, it really needs something cotton on top or it will still wear away the soft fur a bit.

Foam flooring is a godsend!
But yeah Charlie did rip it up in the end. He's had no more hock problems since though, I blame the flat wood in his old hutch.
I am more obsessive about keeping his nails short now, though

I never tried foam flooring cos I was convinced they'd eat it. Should be easily coverable though if they did start chewing on it. Another thing that helped greatly was getting rid of our old carpet and getting textured lino. The lino also seems to help wear their claws more too although they need cutting but I haven't had to cut them for quite a while.

The foam mats only worked out £24 for the whole kennel/run so it won't be too expensive to replace a tile or two if they do get chewed & then I'll cover them up with something. :thumb:

The stools are already covered with fleece blankies and they haven't been peed on yet. :lol: The straw had to be swept up yesterday teatime because Bubbles refused to come out of the kennel. I'm hoping the foam doesn't have the same effect. :roll:

The extra claw cutting is something I'm not looking forward to. :oops::lol:

The foam mats only worked out £24 for the whole kennel/run so it won't be too expensive to replace a tile or two if they do get chewed & then I'll cover them up with something. :thumb:

Could you show us where you got them from :D?

Of course, they're from ebay. They're just under 2ft sq (or just over that with the edging) and they're £1.99 each.

If you order before 3pm, they're sent same day and come the following day. Mine have arrived and they courier also emailed this morning with a 1hr time slot for delivery. Well pleased. :D:D:D

Alfie might not be though.... I got pink. :shock::lol:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EVA-KIDS-INTE..._Baby_Baby_Safety_ET&var=&hash=item84b7780711

Oooh thats mean! Maybe the pink will appease Bubbles though, after her obvious disapproval of the straw!:lol:

Let us know how you get on with the mats, I may get some for the shed.

The extra claw cutting is something I'm not looking forward to.

Its worth it though. When the nails are too long the buns foot tips backwards slightly when they stand hence putting more pressure on the hock. The shorter the nails the flatter their foot and the weight is distributed more easily. The bonus with the foam mats is that if the nails are a little longer the tip can sink into the foam so they still stand flat. I've not had a prob with mats being chewed but my buns have never really been chewers anyway.

Its worth it though. When the nails are too long the buns foot tips backwards slightly when they stand hence putting more pressure on the hock. The shorter the nails the flatter their foot and the weight is distributed more easily.

:thumb: I understand.... I'm just a wuss at cutting nails and had gotten quite used to not having to do them very often and the back ones have never needed doing as they've always worn down. :oops: :lol: I'll get over it. :D:D

Debster, it's all down and looking very, erm, pink. :shock::lol::lol: Bubbles seems to approve and they're both sprawled out in the middle of the run so that's a good sign I think. I will let you know if they start eating it though. :roll:

Back